Chapter 54 - A Blank Canvas

*****

When I climbed out of the car, I felt a strange sinking in my chest. Kendrick waited as I stood on the lawn looking up at the house.

It didn't feel right to let him leave alone. It felt like a mistake.

Consciously though, I was sure it not. I needed my father to control my magic. I couldn't just go with Kendrick. Not when I could lose control at any time.

But... part of me felt like there was a chance I would not.

Because I had been so calm when I was with him. I was surprised, because even when I was afraid or panicked, my magic hadn't flared when I was with him.

I couldn't take a chance though. Not when the consequence meant hurting him.

I began to walk towards the front door but stopped, remembering that I had left through the upstairs balcony to avoid having to explain to my father why I was heading out.

I had convinced him to stay in the town for a couple more days by begging him to let me explore it a little before we returned to the sky. I swore I would be better company if we stayed a little longer; that I would help him instead of hesitating when we headed to the next clan.

Releasing my wings, I took flight and lifted myself to the second floor where I landed on the balcony, automatically retracting my wings once my feet touched the floor.

I heard the car begin to drive off only as I pushed open the balcony doors, but I stumbled in surprise, my heart skipping as I saw the figure in my room.

"Dad!" I gasped, placing a hand on my racing heart while further entering the room.

Turning to slide the door shut, I glanced towards the street. Kendrick was gone.

Had my father heard the car drive off?

I could just say it was a taxi.

"Where have you been?"

"I... I was hungry," I said. "I went to get some food."

"Without your wallet?" He lifted it.

"I had my phone."

He didn't seem happy with the answer.

"You met him, didn't you?"

I tilted my head.

"Who...?"

"Kendrick."

"How do you know –" I began.

"Pack your things, Ashen," he cut me off. "We're leaving. Now."

I shook my head as he began to turn to leave.

"I'm not going anywhere." My words made him turn back to me.

"Excuse me?"

"I don't want to go. I don't want revenge... I don't want anyone else to pay for what happened. I'm sure we've hurt enough people to call it even. I just want to visit the island's ruins. I want to say goodbye to Mom, Avery and Arion. I don't want more people to feel the pain we do... I just want to let it go and start over."

I didn't know what his reaction would be, I wasn't expecting anything in particular. But I was surprised when, after a few minutes of studying me, he lifted his hands between us.

"Ashen."

He wiggled his fingers, his eyes glancing at my hands.

Confused, I hesitated before placing my palms in his. I looked down as his hands closed around mine.