Chapter 11: Changes

Hyrule Castle

As the day passes by, Link and his family are out to eat something since there will be no food served in the castle because all citizens of Hyrule have a day off in honor of their Queen.

The whole family doesn't speak much while eating, until his father speaks up.

"Kids, there will be some changes now."

The kids look at him.

"We will be moving into Hyrule City." The eyes of the kids look at Patrick in surprise. "I know we said we won't move here, but the circumstances force us to. Your mom will now be constantly watching over Zelda, and I will have to be in the Castle for protection more often. In order for us to be together, we have to move; otherwise, we will have to travel all the time and you will be left alone. I hope you both understand."

Both kids are still shocked, though understanding. Of course, they would miss their home and the memories, but both know, as long as they are together as a family, they will be okay.

"We understand, Dad." Link is the first to unfreeze from their shock. "We love our house in Hateno, but living in a big city will also be interesting, and I'm sure we will also have fun here and make nice memories. Right?" Link looks at his sister. Aryll nods her head, not very confidently, but she believes in her brother and parents.

Kathrine and Patrick smile at each other and then at the family they have built. "Good, then, guards are picking up our things from home to move us to the city. We will not be living in the castle itself, but we will be as close as it gets, and you will study and work alongside the princess herself."

Link and Aryll try to protest; they know that if that happens, they can't slack with their studies and study what they want anymore, but their father doesn't leave them a chance. "Now, I know that this will be a change because you won't be studying on your own anymore, but I promise you that you will still do and study what you want. You will not study with the princess all day; you will be with her half a day, and the other day you can study and work on the things that really interest you."

"What is the princess doing at that time?" Aryll asks.

"She works on studying her light power; usually, her mom would teach her, but now Zelda will look elsewhere on how to use and enable it. Since neither of you possesses the power of light, you do not have to study alongside her."

Both kids nod in agreement. Aryll and Link feel like they should or want to ask more questions or object to what is about to happen, but their family bond and the logical reasoning of their father let them stay quiet and force them to accept, but neither of them is sure if what they are doing is correct, but when Link looks at their parents, he realizes they are not that sure either. Both of them have put on their fake smiles, and Link remembers what his father had told him years ago, the reason they never moved to Hyrule City. It was dangerous.

Link doubts that it is any less dangerous now, but he knows that if his father and he moved there, they could secure the City and make sure everyone was safe.

A couple of days later, all the furniture and belongings had arrived. The guards start to move all of the boxes into Link's new home, while Link and his family take a look around at their new home. It was at the Water Reservoir in West Castle Town. This new house reminded them of home; it was at a lake, and the house looked very similar as well. When they looked over the wall on the west side of their house, there was a river flowing which reminded them of the sounds of the waterfall they had in Hateno. Because they aren't in Central Hyrule but in the west, they still had that feeling of living in a smaller town and enjoying the company of all the other residents there which are very nice to them so far. It still had this village feeling of everyone knowing everyone.

After a while of looking around, Patrick says: "This is nicer than I had expected. I asked the King to make us as comfortable as possible, and he said he tried his best. I wasn't sure what to expect, but this is very nice. You have plenty of space to train, Link, also with climbing the walls here, and we have a nice Lake to relax, and I'm sure you noticed it, but it's not as loud as in Central Hyrule so you can study in peace, Aryll."

Link nods in agreement, and Aryll says: "Yes, Dad, it is nice here. I like the sounds of the River flowing; I just wish there wasn't that huge wall to separate us from it. There isn't even a way to get through it."

Kathrine hugs her daughter and kisses her forehead. "Don't worry; maybe we can get a ladder or something similar so we can get over the Wall when we want. I'm sure we will find a way, and in the worst case, we just have to go around it, and then we get to have a nice little walk." after another kiss, she looks at her husband. "Thank you, Patrick, this is really nice; I also have to thank the King for making it possible for us to live in such a nice area in Castle Town."

"Yes, I will thank him too; perhaps we can do that as a family to show our gratitude to the King and what he has done for us."

Both kids agree, and the next day, they go to see the King and thank him for their new home. This was also a way for Link and Aryll to be led around the castle so they would know where they had to go for certain lessons.

This new home and new life were a change for all of them, but Link remembers a quote he once read.

"It's only after you've stepped outside your comfort zone that you begin to change, grow, and transform."