⋅──⊱༺  🩺🫀💋 ༻⊰──⋅

      AFTER THEY GOT Walter a head C.T., they took him up to surgery to try and remove the hook. Sage stood between Meredith and Owen, across from Teddy and Jackson as the group prepared to remove the hook.

"Thought I'd check to see how far along we are," Derek said as he entered the O.R., April on his tail as usual. 

"Almost ready to extract the hook," Owen reported. "Suction," he added to Sage. She nodded and did as she was told as April and Derek stepped closer to observe.

"After they get him off the hook, we'll go in to evacuate the hematoma and plate the skull fragments, right?" she asked, turning to Derek.

"No, I thought we'd throw him back in. Catch and release," Derek joked.

Sage let out a small, acceptable laugh but April laughed way too hard. Sage repressed the urge to roll her eyes and glanced at Jackson, who was already looking at her. He gave her a 'I told you so look', smirking under his mask. His gaze shifted to Meredith and he gave her the same look. She had the same annoyed expression on her face that she had earlier.

"Thank you Dr. Kepner," Derek grinned.

"Well, Walter's lucky," Owen said, getting them back on track. "It looks like he doesn't have to lose any lung."

"Yeah, no thanks to his kid," Jackson muttered. Owen grunted in agreement.

"Well, it was an accident. That happens," Teddy said. 

"That kid shouldn't have been there in the first place," Derek said. 

"Well, he's the guy's son... family business. There's something to be said for loyalty," Teddy disagreed. 

Sage looked up from Walter and made eye contact with Jackson. He raised his eyebrows as they continued arguing. Eventually, Owen got tired of it and announced that they were ready to remove the fishhook. 

"All right." Derek began to give instructions as Sage prepared to pull the hook out. "Nobody move but Dr. Hunt."

"Oh my count," Owen began. "One... Two..." Just as he was about to get to three, Teddy sneezed, causing them to jerk the hook to the side. The monitors began beeping erratically as they all rushed to save their patient.  

"Snagged an artery—" Sage reported before Teddy cut her off. 

"I'm sorry," she apologized, looking between Owen and Derek. The tension between her and Owen was so thick that it could be cut with a knife, and this was probably only going to make it worse. "I'm— I'm sorry."