22 | betrayal ruined his steak

Fragrant smells of rich steak and creamy cheese filled your noses, as your server, Jiri, slid the plates before you. The fancy dinner date was going swimmingly, and to your excitement, the food was as delectable as it looked. The rich creamy flavors of fettuccine danced on your taste buds. When you glanced up, Denji's eyes were hammered closed, his fork greedily invading the ribeye's privacy.

It was childish, the way he gripped his utensils like a caveman, how he bobbed his head side to side. He had a flush against his cheeks, and his feet swung yours back and forth. "Mmh!" He chimed. His orange eyes met yours, squinting and brimming with pure jubilee. "Want some steak, (Y/n)!" He asked, cutting a piece out for you.

You nodded excitedly, gulping down your bite of fettuccine and opening your mouth. Denji beamed, sliding a piece of seasoned, buttery, juicy steak straight into your mouth. It was tender, seared wonderfully with a thin crunch, and the inside was medium well. You clapped your hands together in awe, and Denji vigorously shook his head in understanding.

"So good!"

"Me next, me next!" Denji clamped his eyes close, opening his mouth wide. "Aah." He sang.

You twirled a piece of fettuccine around your fork and lifted it into his mouth. His lips clamped around your fork, and you shivered at the harsh sound and fleeing of his teeth crashing against the metal. He pulled back, humming and nodding while he chewed. "This stuff is real gourmet!" He gasped.

You giggled at his expression, "You can always tell if a restaurant is going to be good if it gives you bread!" You said.

"Whoa... You're so knowledgeable (Y/n)." He said. He began to tear into his steak again, and you ate into your fettuccine.

"Thanks, Denji."

"Ooh, (Y/n)." Denji said between bites. "Your nails look really pretty." He flushed.

You blinked, your eyes falling down to them. Your fingernails were the French tips your mother picked for you. Things had been so hectic, you forgot all about them. Bit somehow, his little compliment flared your ears, and blood rushed to your ears. It was a simple observation, but the real pride came from the fact that he loved them dearly. "Thanks, Ji..." You whispered.

"Baby," Denji suddenly whined. You sat up alert, blinking in confusion. "You didn't answer any of my texts or calls... I got sad..." His eyes fled from yours, the gleam in them playful, but the truth of them were vulnerable and hurt. You gasped despairing.

"I'm sorry, baby." You whispered, but it barely came out as his eyes found yours again, and truly all that sat there was pain. He stuffed another bite into his mouth, and you quickly stroked his leg with your foot. That look was like acid, burning away at you. "I'm so sorry, Denji." You dropped your fork immediately, going to fish through your pockets for your cellphone. "I'll turn on my ringer. That way, I won't miss a single call from my Denji." You said.

"Yay." He cheered. Oddly, when you reached into your pockets-- your cellphone wasn't there? Your eyebrows furrowed. You had it all day? Didn't you?

"I got to turn into Chainsaw Man again. Did you see me? When the falling Devil hit." Denji's voice shut through your confusjon. You looked up at him in surpise and was met with the newfound, glittering excitement that filled his eyes.

Eh, you probably left it at the church. You'll get it back eventually. "I did! You looked so handsome... And cool and strong..." You giggled. His chest flared up on pride, his face dancing in a deeper blush. "I guess week one of Dreamers Club was a flying success." You said.

"You've got to come up with a wish now (Y/n)." He said.

Your wish?
You were living it right now. You wanted to be free with Denji, and now you were. "Mmh... My dream?" You pressed your lips together in thought. You had everything you wanted now. Your heart leaped as your mind races back to the night you met him.