3: Family

"I don't understand; why are we doing this?" Septimus Weasley asked Fleamont Potter worriedly.

He knew his friend wanted to be Heir Peverell. He knew the Potters felt they deserved it. However, he also knew that was not how things worked. He watched as his friend paced the dormitory for First-year Gryffindors angrily. They were supposed to be making plans on how to deal with the Peverell Heir in a way that ended in his death.

"Because I have to," Fleamont said with a sigh. "Mum, Dad, and the Headmaster said so..."

"I don't know Monty. I don't think it's a good idea. This is Heir Peverell. I know you wish to be so, but be honest with yourself; you know it is not likely to be so! It is inherited! Your family is that of the youngest brother. His is that of the eldest. Lady Fate has spoken!" Septimus said tightly. "Monty, as your best friend, I say this in kindness. As a fellow Heir and the Heir of the House of Weasley, I say this as a warning and stating I will have no part in it."

Septimus did not wait to see if what he said sunk in. He left. He left his best friend alone in the dorm as he headed to the Great Hall. It was nearly time for dinner anyway.

It was not hard to notice the difference at the Gryffindor table within the Great Hall. At least it was not hard to notice for the Purebloods and Half-bloods of high society. For the first time, any of them had seen in, well, entire lives, Septimus Weasley and Fleamont Potter sat far apart and refused to look at each other. One filled with great anger and rage as he glared at his plate. One filled with grief and tiredness. This was unusual indeed. Something Hadrian and his friends, which now included soon-to-be Cadmus Salazar Peverell-Slytherin, clicked upon immediately.

"You see what I see?" Orion asked Hadrian with ill disguised glee.

"I do, I wonder what caused the riff." Hadrian looked to his soon-to-be brother with a small smile. "Heir Septimus Weasley and Heir Fleamont Potter have been friends since nearly their birth. To see such a distance between them is a shock to those who know them."

"Do you think you will ever find out?" He asked, facing his plate despite knowing the Headmaster was looking his direction.

However, Hadrian was unable to answer as Professor Slughorn walked over. He tapped both boys on the shoulder and told them to follow him.

Despite their curiosity they both stayed silent outside of a quick moment of "see you in the common room" to their friends. They quickly stood and followed their head of house to his office which was behind a door in his classroom.

"I have been told your parents wish to meet with you and thus I have allowed floo travel to your home for the day." Slughorn said politely.

Horace Slughorn had a great respect for the Peverell family. He had seen the good they had done. He heard the stories of past generations from his father. He hoped that in the Peverell family adopting young Tom that he would turn out better than what he feared would happen...

"Thank you Professor." Hadrian said as he floo'd to his home.

"Thank you." Tom said softly as he did the same.

Tom looked around the room in awe. It was big, and decorated beautifully. In ways it made him feel small because it showed the wealth of the Peverell family.

"Hello Cadmus dear!"

Hearing his new name made him look at the source. He noticed that the woman looked very similar to Hadrian. Especially since they shared the same emerald green eyes. Her black hair also matched his except hers was straight rather than his curls, which he seemed to have gotten from his father. She was short and held a slightly pudgy build. She smiled at him kindly.

"H-Hi.."

"No need to be shy dear." She said softly. "My name is Marlys. You may call me what makes you feel comfortable. This is my husband, Adrian. We brought you both here because Miss Thelma Hemlock wishes to verify this is what you wish and then provide the potion to allow adoption to magically take place."

"Magical adoption?" Cadmus asks shyly, he felt very much out of his element and at least to Hadrian it was quite clear.

"Yes this potion allows it so that when you provide any blood for inheritance tests and such that my wife and I show as your mother and father." Adrian supplies kindly.

"Really?" Cadmus asked excitedly, looking more a child than Hadrian ever remembered seeing when he was Harry. "I would love that!"

"Then I approve."

The boys saw as a woman disillusioned herself. She was tall with a thin build, her blonde hair pulled into a tight bun. Her bright blue eyes shined happily.

"Sorry for the hiding boys, I merely wanted to see how you would genuinely react. I am Miss Thelma Hemlock." She said introducing herself. "If you, Cadmus, could sign this with your new legal name then I can get this taken to the ministry. Your parents have already signed their signatures."

"They did?"

Hadrian smiled knowingly as Cadmus looked to their Mum and Dad. Both of whom smiled and nodded. Their Dad walked over, calmly and gently placing his hands on Cadmus' shoulders, looking him in the eyes.

"We already have the muggle adoption settled. This is for our ministry. You are our son. My son Cadmus. We are ready to simply make it official."

Cadmus hugged the man tightly as soft sniffles were heard. Although no one commented on them. Something the fourteen almost fifteen year old was grateful for. Hadrian grinned and ran over hugging his brother. This was no longer Tom Marvolo Riddle future Dark Lord Voldemort. No. This was Cadmus Salazar Peverell-Slytherin, future Lord Slytherin of the Most Ancient and Most Noble House of Slytherin and son to Lord and Lady Adrian and Marlys Peverell, brother to Heir Hadrian Peverell of the Most Ancient and Most Noble House of Peverell.

Cadmus and Hadrian both gained the one thing they always wanted in their previous lives: a Family.