𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

Start from the beginning

She was stubborn and obstinate. She always wanted to come out on top in an argument. They'd been like that since they were little. She had someone to get out of it. After all, they shared the same DNA that lived in their cells.

But he knew that Erica was right in everything she said. And that he should take her advice and change once and for all. And he longed to be able to prove it to her one day.

 And he longed to be able to prove it to her one day

𝐀𝐔𝐆𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝟓ᵗʰ, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟎

The blue sky was the perfect setting for another day behind bars. Surrounded by high concrete walls. At least she wasn't going to die of vitamin D deficiency. She was sitting outside on the mini amphitheater bench in front of the basketball court where half a dozen inmates were playing vigorously and hard. She could hear the loud, aggressive roars of the players, but tried to focus on the distant chirping of the goldfinches.

She tried not to make too much eye contact with anyone, in order to go unnoticed. The last thing she wanted was to be misunderstood and get into trouble for it.

She was wearing the infamous orange uniform like all the others, but because it was so hot, she had removed her uniform T-shirt and kept only her white undershirt.

She was distractedly reading a book she had requested from the small library. Sure, she wanted to read all those books, she had to keep herself entertained. But she felt that every romance she read was nothing like the one she had with Lucas. Instead of being jealous of the main characters as she had been a few years ago, she now remembered Lucas. And she was jealous of her past self, because she didn't have that anymore.

She felt that the pain would pass and that she would eventually get used to it. But for now, escaping into her memories of Lucas wasn't the best option. So she had to try to think about Lucas as little as possible, so as not to feel even more trapped and hurt.

A guard approached her.

But Max looked away. She hadn't done anything wrong, there was no reason for them to take her away, but it was Max the guard wanted to talk to. She approached her, handcuffs ready.

"Mayfield, you have a visitor." The redhead slowly looked up at the guard, still processing what she had just heard. Obviously it wouldn't be Lucas - the only person she wanted to see. But there might be other people who wanted to see her.

She looked up glumly, already preparing herself for the worst. Would it be her mother? Oh shit. What would she think if she saw her there? Why had she never thought of that before? Surely her mother knew she was there. She couldn't imagine the disgust she must feel.

But when she finally reached the visiting room, she looked around and didn't find her. She found someone else.

She felt pale and her muscles stiffened completely.