𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈𝐕

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

❝ HEARTBEAT ❞

⊱ ⸺ { •♟• } ⸺ ⊰

𝐉𝐔𝐍𝐄 𝟐𝟏ˢᵗ, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟎

         THE RHYTHMIC THROBBING of her heartbeat echoed in her head like a distant beep. She could feel the blood pulsing in her ears. Her cells worked in harmony and serenity to keep the body alive. As if she had been reborn. Like a baby resting in its mother's womb.

But the atmosphere was cold. Her legs were covered with a soft cotton blanket and her head rested on a comfortable pillow.

She had never felt so much peace in her life.

With difficulty she opened her eyes. The sunlight coming through the window to her left almost blinded her. She blinked several times. She looked around. A room with white walls. She was lying on a bed, wearing a shirt with an unknown logo on it. She followed the wires that connected her body to a machine that measured her pulse.

She was in a hospital. Um... why?

Then the memory that had slipped away came back.

The road. The car. The police. The gun. The dog. The shots. Lucas.

She opened her eyes wide. She began to hyperventilate. She tried to sit up, but as she bent over, she felt knives plunge into her shoulder. She lay back down. 

She heard the beep of her heartbeat accelerating. The machine next to her echoed what she felt. She turned her head and saw the screen with the green lines going up and down and the numbers going up and down.

It was extremely hard to breathe. Every time her diaphragm went up and down, she felt a tremendous pain on her left side in the area of her ribs.

She touched her stomach. She pulled up the hospital gown and saw her bandaged abdomen. A small red stain had begun to appear on the fabric.

She struggled to sit down on the edge of the bed. She tried to get up but fell to the floor. She grabbed her leg. The pain shot up her thighs like an electric shock. Her legs had been standing still for a long time.

She tried to move her right hand but couldn't. She lifted her head. Her wrist was cuffed to the edge of the bed. Of course.

For a moment she didn't understand why. Was she by any chance a criminal to be locked up like that? Oh, yes, she was.