𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

MISERABLE MAN ❞

{ •♟• } ⸺

𝐉𝐔𝐍𝐄 𝟐𝟖𝐭𝐡 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟎

           THE SMALL GRAY ROOM was so cold, and the steel chair chilled him to the bone. But it was nothing compared to the pain he felt inside. Nor in his weakened, bruised and pitted torso where he had been shot two times. His heart was broken. He never thought it would hurt more to be alive than to be dead.

The fact that he was alive was a miracle. Two of the bullets pierced his lower abdomen and part of his intestine had to be removed, and one hit his leg. It was still difficult for him to walk, of course he still had to use some crutchers , and according to what the doctors warned him, it was likely that he would walk with a limp for the rest of his life.

But what really affects him is not his body, he already feels himself improving physically little by little. What affects him is the possibility of living the rest of his life without Max. He would never be able to recover from such deep pain. Everyday he would wake up and remember that he had somehow killed the love of his life. That he destroyed such a pure soul because of his selfishness. He could never forgive himself. He would never find someone like Max. Who would make him feel as alive and well as Max made him feel.

The sight of Max lying on the ground, those bullets piercing her flesh. As that image kept reappearing in his mind, he felt the excruciating pain of the bullets passing through him again.

While he was miraculously alive, where was Max? Lying motionless in a hospital bed, fighting for her life. She deserved to be alive a lot more than he did, he thought.

He felt miserable. A miserable man. Without her, he was only half a man. Half a heart.

A month has passed after the tragic accident. Lucas had been in a coma for three weeks. And according to what he'd been told last week, Max was still motionless and hadn't yet blinked.

His thoughts were interrupted by the loud slamming of the door. It was his lawyer.

"Hey Lucas, it's Robin Buckley." The energetic blonde immediately held out his hand for him to shake. "We've met before, but I think the memories are hazy, aren't they?" She gave him a tender smile, unbuttoned her dark green blazer and hurried to pull out the chair next to Lucas to sit down.

"I don't think I need to explain what's going to happen, because you already know, don't you?"

The blonde explained in a professional tone, indirectly mentioning the man's criminal record, and Lucas nodded silently. He lowered his eyes again to his lap, covered in that orange uniform that almost blinded him.