𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

Beginne am Anfang

Concern showed on Lucas' face through the small wrinkles on his forehead.

After a brief, hopeful silence, Erica said what she had been dying to say.

"You know, Lucas, I really don't think you have any idea what you're doing with your life." Such an introduction made the boy lower his head, mentally preparing himself for the biggest lecture of his life. "And you're going to listen to me because you desperately need someone to tell you."

She pulled her hair back in annoyance, revealing the gold rings in her ears.

"Lucas, it was one thing for you to steal half a dozen things with your 'friends' when you were a teenager. Even though it was still wrong and stupid, I forgave you because you were a child. And because I thought you'd changed and learned your lesson. But apparently not. I guess I was wrong."

She argued with him as if he were the kid who screwed up and she was his older sister. Still standing, she leaned forward and put her hands on the table. Her voice rose.

"What were you thinking? You found a job even with a criminal record and you threw it all away! And for what? For what? You tell me! You promised me you'd changed! Why did you lie to me?"

It was Lucas' turn to raise his face and voice in defense.

"I didn't want to hurt you any more than I had in the past! Knowing that you were okay was incredible news for me. It took an enormous weight off my shoulders. I couldn't let you down again. Especially now that you were building your independent life. You were doing well, you seemed happy. And... and I thought I was doing it my way. Sorting out my shit in my own way, and I didn't want to drag you into it. I didn't even want you to be ashamed of me anymore." His voice trailed off at the end of the sentence. Lucas looked at her like a wounded puppy and held his palms up defensively. But Erica was undeterred.

"You know, I'm glad you're in prison. Because you deserve to be here. You're dangerous to society, and I think you'll learn to regret your own mistakes here. To change for the better. Because if you didn't value freedom when you had it, maybe you'll value it more now that you don't have it." Erica spat out all those words firmly and harshly, raising her index finger in the air as she spoke.

"Then why did you say all that in court?" He looked at his sister sadly. "You lied and said things you didn't believe in, why? Why did you help me if I didn't deserve it?"

"Because you're my brother, and no matter what, I'll defend you to the end." The girl replied without thinking. A wave of guilt washed over Lucas.

"Even... if I don't deserve it?" Along with guilt, he felt shame.

"Even if you don't deserve it. So take this second chance that comes with a price. The fact that you're alive is a miracle, a real second chance. Don't screw it up again."

"And I won't." Lucas drew a guilty smile and nodded slightly in agreement. "Thank you for defending me. I'll be forever in your debt."

"All right, and don't overdo it." She lowered her voice and raise her hand.

"When will you visit me again?" He was in this situation again, in prison. But this time it was different. Company would be good.

Erica, already on her way to the door, stopped and looked over her shoulder at Lucas.

"I don't know, maybe next year. Take care."

"Take care. I love you!" He tried to say, but she had already closed the door. But at least she had heard him.

The word year entering his ears was like a punch in the gut. But he was overjoyed to know that Erica was willing to defend him. That is, at least, how he interpreted it. She had forgiven him for his past mistakes, and she might this time.