The Right One Paid Attention

Sutton had been working at the magazine rack for 2 years now, it wasn't a bad job, it gave her something to do and some spending money since everything else was paid off. She also had another income that paid the bills. She didn't mind the job she kind of liked it. It was placed on a busy corner attached to a building with just enough room on the end for a bunch of magazines and newspapers. Most people were always in a hurry when they stopped by to grab their daily newspaper or their weekly magazine. So the normal customer would barely pay her any mind and she liked it. Sutton had worked hard to go unnoticed by most people. It made getting through life easier.

  It was one of those warm days that didn't have much of a breeze. What little wind that did occasionally come was of no help. Sutton was thankful she pulled her hair up into a messy bun before leaving the house. The little wisp that hung loose from the bun was damp from sweat. The skirt she wore was one of her favorites, the print was that of the galaxy yet very light and great for this warm weather. The black tank she wore was one of the few shirts that went with the skirt that had some scribble across her chest. Everything breathed in this miserably warm day as she sat in the fold-out chair that was partially covered in shade from the umbrella that was set up.

  Sutton looked up from the book she was reading to see one of her regulars approaching. Secretly he was her favorite. He was an older gentleman with graying hair and on most days a 5 o'clock shadow. He always wore loud printed shirts with his shorts and sandals. "See you are staying cool." He smiled at her.

  "Trying to at least."

  Retrieving a newspaper he read the words on her tank. "Everybody's dead, Dave." He looked up at her confused by the words.

  "It's from the British comedy TV show called Red Dwarf." She nervously spoke.

  Reaching into his pocket. "I don't know the show but you look good today." He winked at her as he paid.

  Sutton blushed profusely at the compliment taking his money. She was too shy to say anything back let alone a thank you as he walked away. And that was how most of their conversations went the 2 years she's been there. He'd sometimes ask about her clothing and yet never said anything mean about the nerdy stuff she wore.

  The next day Sutton sat in her chair reading her book. "Nice flowers. From your boyfriend?" The familiar voice said.

  Looking up she saw him, closing her book as she got up. "No, it's from one of the regulars, an early birthday present since he and his wife are going out of town tomorrow." She stood up.

  "The boyfriend waiting till tomorrow to go all out?"

  Shaking her head. "I don't have a boyfriend." She shyly admitted.

  Sam's jaw dropped. "You're pretty. You should have a line of men around the corner for you to pick from."

  "You're too nice." She blushed. "But I don't have luck with guys."

  "That can't be true."

  "It is and I can prove it. I've been working here for 2 years and you've been getting a newspaper from me the entire time. You meet a group of friends at Carlitos a few times a week and the few times you've picked up your phone I've caught your name. Your name is Sam by the way. You are one of the few people who comment on my nerdy clothes yet are never mean to me about what I wear. Even for someone like me who's in their 30s. Yet the entire time we have briefly spoken you've never asked for my name."

  Sam was at a loss for words, this had never happened to him before. "I don't know what to say."

  Handing him the daily newspaper he always got. "It's ok, happens to me all the time. Especially working here where people are usually in a hurry and just want to grab a paper or magazine and go on their way." A few people approached the register to pay for some magazines ending the two's conversation.