Chapter 2: The Past Sucks

Start from the beginning

Appa continued through the sky as sharp mountains came into view, "The Batola mountain range! We're almost here!" Aang cried happily.

Katara looked over to him worried, "Aang, before we get to the temple, I want to talk to you about the airbenders." Y/N sighed. They had taught her about the airbenders in the Navy camp, but always blamed them, the Fire Nation never did anything wrong. She knew Aang was the only airbender left, her heartstrings pulled for Aang and the loss of his people. She shifted her gaze to Sokka, who looked equally as grim, but narrowed his eyes as soon as he caught her looking at him.

"What about them?" Aang asked innocently.

"Well.." Katara looked conflicted. Y/N knew the last thing she wanted was to hurt Aang.

"We just want you to be prepared." Y/N said as she placed a soft hand on Aang's shoulder. She gave Katara a reassuring smile, and she looked relieved. "The Fire Nation...they're ruthless." Y/N tried to block out the memories that flooded her brain anytime she talked about her keepers. The things they did to her there...

"They killed my mother, and they could have done the same to your people." Katara stepped in after seeing Y/N struggle.

"Just because no one has seen an airbender doesn't mean the Fire Nation killed them all. They probably escaped." Aang reasoned.

Katara shot Y/N an uneasy look, "I know it's hard to accept." Y/N moved closer to Aang for comfort.

"You guys don't understand. The only way to get to an airbender temple is on a flying bison, and I doubt the Fire Nation has any flying bison. Right, Appa?" Aang stroked his head and he growled back at him. "Yip-Yip!"

Appa rose higher and thrust them up the backside of one of the mountain peaks. The wind rushed against Y/N, nearly pulling her off the flying creature. Over the peak, large towers with blue roofs protruded from the earth.

"There it is, the southern air temple." Aang announced.

"Aang, it's amazing!" Katara exclaimed.

"Wow, it's so beautiful." Y/N admired, "I've never seen anything like this."

"Of course you haven't." Sokka remarked behind them. Y/N shot him a dirty look.

"We're home, buddy. We're home." Aang uttered to Appa.

*

Gradually, the group made their way up the curvy path that led to the temple. Y/N's breathing got more uneven as they climbed and her feet hurt from the rocky walkway. As much as she appreciated the amazing architecture and culture of the temple, they really needed a better way to get to this place.

"So where do I get something to eat?" Sokka complained again.

"You're lucky enough to be one of the first outsiders to ever visit an airbender temple, and all you can think about is food?" Katara chastised.

"Yeah Sokka, look around you. This is way better than food!" Y/N agreed.

"How dare you!" Sokka gasped, "Listen, I'm just a simple guy with simple needs."

Y/N just shook her head, sure she was hungry too, but the astonishment from the peer power of the beautiful structures replaced her needs. Ahead, Aang stopped on the edge of a small cliff.

"So that's where my friends and I would play airball, and over there is where the bison would sleep. And..." Aang stopped pointing out places to them and sighed.

"What's wrong?" Katara inquired.

"This place used to be full of monks and lemurs and bison. Now there's just a bunch of weeds." Aang said dejectedly.