𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦

Start from the beginning

Grover and Enid exchanged desperate looks. Grover sighed. "When Annabeth first arrived here with Thalia and Luke, they were being chased by monsters. Agents of Hades. Sisters."

"Furies," Percy nodded. "Mrs. Dodds?"

"Yes," Grover confirmed. "One was our algebra teacher, Alecto. Thalia turned back to fight to buy her friends some time. Her satyr Protector tried to stop her, but she wouldn't listen."

Enid discreetly took Grover's hand, knowing he felt guilty about Thalia's fate. "But it definitely wasn't his fault," she assured him softly.

Grover offered her a slight smile of gratitude before turning back to Percy to continue his story. "So, at the last moment, Zeus intervened to save her life and...changed her form."

Percy looked at them incredulously. "The most powerful being in the universe's best idea to save his daughter's life...was to turn her into a tree?"

Suddenly, Annabeth's voice cut through the conversation, startling Enid, who hadn't noticed her approach. "She was the bravest demigod I ever knew. She fought valiantly, and she met a hero's fate."

"She met a pinecone's fate." Percy scoffed, prompting shocked reactions from Grover, Annabeth, and Enid.

Annabeth's tone turned defensive. "Forbidden children are always in danger, even the strongest ones, even Thalia. And you are not Thalia," she asserted, her voice firm. "Do exactly as I say, and maybe you'll survive this. Are we clear?"

As Annabeth walked away, Percy turned to Grover and Enid, baffled. "Does she think she's in charge?"

"Who else do you think would be in charge?" Grover asked as they began to follow her. Enid sighed, shouldering her heavy bag with effort.

Percy shrugged as they trailed behind Annabeth. "I guess I assumed we'd do a show of hands or something."

"Where do you think we are? We don't do politics here," Enid scoffed before her expression softened, and she glanced hesitantly at Percy. Then, without warning, she slapped him on the back of his head.

Rubbing the spot, Percy looked at her incredulously. "Why did you do that?!"

"For being disrespectful to Thalia," Enid said, trying to suppress a laugh. "And for my personal pleasure too."

"There is no way this is what sacred smells like." Percy huffed irritably as they sat in the back of the bus, near the bathroom. Grover sat beside him, while Annabeth and Enid occupied the opposite seats.

"We're soldiers on a mission. It's not a vacation," Annabeth reminded him.

"Thanks you for clearing that up," Percy retorted sarcastically. "But if this is so important, why didn't Chiron spring for plane tickets? This seems kind of a low priority, doesn't it?"

"Sorry, I assumed someone had informed you," Grover apologized.

Percy looked at Grover expectantly. "Tell me what?"

"Percy, it isn't just the monsters who are trying to stop us," Grover explained, capturing the girls' attention. "You're a forbidden child. Zeus might decide to take a shot at you himself. The sky is his domain."