09| SUPER FESTIVE

Start from the beginning

Charis was well-acquainted with the repercussions of her thought patterns. Having witnessed her sister struggle with a similar condition, Charis started recognizing the striking similarities between them. She couldn't ignore the fact that she was mirroring Marilyn's actions and echoing her words, realizing the unsettling cycle they were both caught in.

The memory of the day her sister recovered stood out as one of the happiest moments for Charis. She vividly recalled the conversation where Marilyn had explained feeling a lack of control over her life, finding solace in managing what went into her body, and focusing on her appearance. Now, Charis found herself experiencing similar sentiments, repeating the same patterns, and articulating comparable thoughts.

Nevertheless, Charis couldn't shake the feeling that her situation wouldn't escalate to the extent it had for her sister. As the day progressed, she managed to complete the brownies, coinciding with her sister's return home. Marilyn inquired about her well-being, and Charis explained she had a headache but had successfully finished the baking.

Marilyn, being observant, had noticed that something was bothering Charis. Initially, she attributed it to the aftermath of Charis's accident, involving leg problems, horse-related issues, and perhaps some boy problems. However, as the days passed, Marilyn sensed a deeper change in her sister's demeanor. Determined to uncover the truth, Marilyn decided to revisit activities that Charis used to enjoy and try to unravel the mystery behind her recent behavior.

While Charis retreated to her bedroom fortress and immersed herself in a series on her computer, Marilyn patiently waited for an opportunity to investigate. When Charis finally disappeared into her room, Marilyn seized the chance to snoop around. She meticulously went through books, peeked into the trash, and scrutinized anything that might provide a clue as to the reasons behind Charis's recent behavior.

Charis, taking a risky move, decided to open the window and indulge in a cigarette. Although it made her a bit dizzy due to her lifestyle choices, it brought her a sense of satisfaction. Meanwhile, Marilyn, playing it smart, approached Charis's room with a reason. She entered and inquired about sunglasses she claimed to have lent to Charis, using it as an excuse to snoop around. Charis, quick on her feet, disposed of the cigarette and sprayed some deodorant to cover it up.

"Have you still got the sunglasses I lent you?" Marilyn inquired, already searching through Charis's drawers. As she rummaged through them, she subtly observed Charis, trying to glean any clues about what might be bothering her.

"Why would you need sunglasses in this weather, Marilyn?" Charis rolled her eyes. Her sister shrugged in response.

"And no, I gave them back," Charis told her, marking the end of the conversation. Marilyn huffed, seemingly unsatisfied with the response, and exited the bedroom.

As the clock ticked on, Austin returned home, asking his daughters about their days. They began getting ready, taking out the wine bottle and pastries from the refrigerator. Charis nervously applied her natural makeup, her hands shaking a bit. She opted for baggy warm jeans and boots paired with a black, cozy sweater.

Her nerves were a mix of anticipation about seeing Cole after ignoring him for almost two days and the anxiety of being around a lot of people and food, especially since she wasn't comfortable eating in front of others. Most importantly, the absence of half her family made it hard for her to feel festive, and Thanksgiving didn't quite feel the same anymore.

"You girls ready?" Austin called out into the house, putting on his jacket and gloves.

"Ready," they both emerged from their bedrooms, with coats, gloves, and scarves in tow.

"You look beautiful," Austin smiled at his daughters.

"Come on, you take this plate," he handed one to Charis.