four 

❧ Over the next few days, Milo found himself constantly on the lookout for Oliver

Oliver seemed to have vanished from the house and grounds entirely, No matter where he wandered on the grounds, Oliver was never there.

During yet another Oliver-less moment, Milo wandered listlessly into the den where Elio was practicing piano. 

Not two minutes had passed before Milo cracked open the door to peer down the empty hallway. With a sigh, he resumed his perch on the armrest of the sofa, leg bouncing.

Elio glanced over, hands pausing above the keys. "Again? That's the third time you've checked for him since you came in here."

Milo forced his jittery leg still. "Have not," he mumbled, fiddling with the hem of his shirt. But soon the garment was twisted around his restless fingers.

With an understanding chuckle, Elio launched back into the melody. "He'll turn up eventually. Then you can stare and sigh to your heart's content."

Milo flushed but didn't argue. His eyes were already straying back to the vacant doorway...

----

Milo paced circles in his bedroom, gnawing ragged edges into his fingernails. His pendant chain swung wildly back and forth with each abrupt turn. Where was Oliver? Why had he just vanished for days without a word?

The not-knowing ate away at Milo as the silence ate away at Milo, feeding his imagination - Oliver regretting their impulsive kiss and slipping off to avoid entanglement...Oliver charming flirtatious girls like Chiara downtown, seeking less complicated companionship...

At that thought, bitterness swelled up to join the anxiety churning inside Milo. He could envision Oliver turning on that easy charm for Chiara and the other girls who fawned over him. 

Them getting to enjoy his attentions and affections so freely while Milo agonized in isolation over what any of it meant.

Overcome by frustration, Milo flung himself dramatically onto the unmade bed. 

He grabbed his journal from the nightstand and began scribbling - would Oliver tire of whatever this was between them and discard Milo altogether now? 

Had he read too much into a meaningless kiss given on a dull summer's whim? Page after page he poured out his self-defeating thoughts until emotional exhaustion finally overtook him and he fell asleep.

------

Milo sat stiffly at his desk, bathed in moonlight and unable to sleep. He re-read his journal pages where he had poured out his frustration over Oliver's abrupt disappearance.

Hoping to force a confrontation, Milo had left the bathroom door between their rooms intentionally ajar. He wanted answers...wanted Oliver's touch, his voice - anything to silence the doubts swirling through his mind.