04 • "Misunderstanding"

Nine days had passed quite smoothly since class 2-B had their first P.E class. Asa was obviously doing her best to be integrated in the class, with little help from the Prez and support from their head teacher. She managed to talk to more of her classmates though most of the time they were just kind of making fun of her, however not to the point she thought it could be considered bullying, this was so soft compared to what she knew. Basically they were making puns and jokes about her name and her fall on the first day.

This morning when she entered the class a bit later than usual, Denji was once more being a chair, this time for one of Prez's close friends. He looked like he didn't care while Asa stared at him with disdain, she would never understand how he could let people belittle him so much.

She sighed sitting down at her usual desk and like every morning the class president came to greet her. "Hi Mitaka!" She waved, Asa offered her a small smile.

"Good morning Prez." She answered.

"It's finally Friday!" She exhaled stretching up. "Do you have anything planned for this weekend?" She then curiously asked, Asa sure did not expect this question but shook her head in response.

"No I'm free, why?" She nervously asked. « What if she asks me to go out with her and some friends? To have a girl's night or something? » she started overthinking, getting a little excited at the idea.

"Oh nothing special.." she shrugged, breaking any hope Asa had left. The latter squeezed her lips, eyes wandering in the room as they finally spotted Denji again. Still on all fours.

"Is it allowed? I mean, to be sitting on someone's back.. why is he always being somebody's chair anyway?" The Prez followed her eyes before scoffing.

"There is nothing special saying it is forbidden in fact.. Denji does this for money, he's so stupid.." she shook her head in disbelief. Asa continued staring at him, lost in her mind. She was glad it was not bullying, but was still confused, no one ever would want that.

"Alright class! We'll finish the lesson today as next week we'll be having a test!" The teacher walked in clapping his hands as he warned the students who all whined. Everyone got back to their seats, Denji who was freed walked to his spot next to Asa and started looking at her. She clenched her fists feeling his eyes again, why was he always looking at her?

Before she could even think to ask, he beat her to eat.

"Oi Asa, why were you staring at me for so long?" He bluntly asked, the black haired girl squeezed her lips immediately turning to him.

"Stop calling me by my first name!" She whispered-yell. Denji rolled his eyes, laying on the back of his chair.

"Okay okay.. I'll call you Asa Mitaka then." He shrugged.

"That's so long, just call me Mitaka." She scoffed, crossing her arms.

"Then what are you gonna call me? Denji still? And I can't call you Asa? Unfair if you ask me." He pouted his lips with a disapproving expression as she shook her head at his attitude.

"I never called you Denji, so don't call me either then!" She concluded.

"Ah, you just said my name.. Asa." He smiled, provoking her. She clenched her teeth ready to snap back but was interrupted by the professor.

"Denji stop picking up on your neighbor and focus!"

"Aye sir..." he answered in a bored tone. Asa was firing at him with her eyes, but when he turned to look at her again she averted her eyes and started to take notes.

Denji was walking to the cafeteria to buy two onigiris but felt a pressure on his arm, before he could react he was pulled into a hallway by the class president.

"Prez? What can I do for you..?" He asked in a bored tone.

"You like Asa don't you?" She asked out of nowhere, confusing Denji himself. The latter sighed, stroking the back of his head.

"I dunno I'm not sure." He shrugged.

"Well she likes you." She stated.

"Huh for real?!" He gasped in surprise but was quick to snap back to reality and cleared his throat. "Wait, where's that coming from, how do you know?"

"She told me of course!"

"Damn I knew it.." he chuckled feeling himself, quickly and easily convinced.

"She's just too shy to take the first step though, I think you should ask her on a date." She smirked as his lips parted.

"A date..." he started thinking, why not? "I don't know man.." on one hand she looked like she didn't like him.. but it didn't match her actions sometimes, even less what the class president was currently telling him. She was most likely mistaken..
Seeing him being hesitant the class president snapped her fingers to catch his attention.

"Just do it or you'll miss your chance. Thank me later!" She quickly disappeared, leaving Denji still hesitating. « yolo. » he concluded in a shrug before walking to buy his lunch, thinking too much for something so stupid started to hurt his head.

When class ended by 4:30, Denji waited for Asa to finish putting her stuff in her bag while drawing on his hand. When she stood up he immediately reacted and jumped up, running to go in front of her.

"What?" She tilted her head as he blocked the way. « She's trying to look annoyed, but I know better.. » Denji mentally laughs before smiling at her. His sudden gain in confidence kinda startled her.

"Are you free Saturday?" The question took her aback, her lips parted as she looked at him confused. It was her second time being asked if she was free today, what could he possibly want?

"W-why?" She bit her lip hating the fact that she just stuttered in front of him.

"I wanna go on a date with you." He said, she almost gasped. —almost. Taking a step back she looked at him, eyes widened. « He wants to go on a date with me?! » her heart was beating like crazy, she wasn't dumb after all he really did like her! And now he wanted to get closer to her. In panic, Asa put a strand of hair behind her ear wondering what to answer to his sudden offer while Denji was waiting for a response. "Ah," he said, causing her to look up. "I mean you wanna go on a date with me, and I accept." He nodded, crossing his arms.

Asa quickly went from flustered to irritated at his statement. "What? what do you mean, why would I want to go on a date with you?" She crossed her arms as well.

"Huh, you don't wanna?" He asked, confused.

"Why do you think that?" She shook her head, frowning. "We have a test next week, we need to study!" She then explained as if it was obvious.

"I dunno, Prez told me that—"

"I get it." Asa scoffed, smirking at him. "You're looking for an excuse to ask me on a date don't you? Well I accept." She concluded with a hand on her chest. She didn't know where the sudden confidence came from —neither did Denji, maybe from the fact that she felt wanted for once.

"What..." he narrowed his eyes, confused at her attitude. "I accept, not you." He corrected pointing at her.

"Alright, if you accept then I'm choosing where we're going and what we're doing!" She stated, slamming her hands on her hips.

"Whatever." He shrugged.

"Meet me at the school gates tomorrow at 11 in the morning then, don't be late!" She walked past him without saying goodbye and once far enough, took a heavy breath as she put a hand on her chest feeling her heart pumping faster than it should. « This guy... he likes me... I'm gonna make him confess! » she bit her lip in excitement, clenching her fist.

AN: It's currently 00:57 where I live (in France) so technically it's February 8th. I usually post every 2 days so I'm 1 day late my bad😔
Idk if anyone else is watching AFCON, but as an Ivorian my country being qualified in FINALS against Nigeria is historic.🇨🇮
And Disney just announced Moana 2😭 it's one of my favourite Disney movie I'm so happy tonight😔🥳

ANYWAYS about the story next chapter is finally the date‼️🙏🏾 see u tomorrow I guess dear readers, I hope you liked this chapter :)