Chapter 5 - First Training

Comincia dall'inizio

"Are you ready for your first training session as a Lioness?" asked Leah wanting to check on the younger player.

"Yeah, I'm just a little scared. I keep reminding myself that it's just football and that it's not that hard." Leah giggled at Cameryn's attempt to suppress her fears.

"Look at me Cam," Cameryn slowly turned her head to make eye contact with Leah. "You are so much better than you think you are, and you are going to go out there and show everyone how the centre midfield needs to be run, okay?"

Cameryn nodded slowly in response receiving a kiss on the forehead from Leah. "Okay let's go." They walked down to the locker room to change into their training kits, where Leah noticed that Cameryn tediously taped both her ankles after putting her kit on.

"What are you doing?" asked Leah with slight concern, "Are you injured?"

"Nothing, don't worry about it." Cameryn avoided eye contact the entire time she answered Leah, not daring to look up at the caring blonde.

"Okay, tell me about it later," responded Leah in the hope that Cameryn might break down her very strong walls.

"Mhm," replied Cameryn not wanting to let Leah in. Leah left the room to head into the gym alone before the rest of the team joined her.

Once everyone started moving into the gym too Cameryn followed suit. As she was new, one of the trainers worked closely with her for the morning session to help her understand how the gym works at England camps.

"You will be given your weekly plans during the weekend debriefs and planning sessions. You follow it as precisely as you can, and if there are any problems with the equipment or the course at all just ask one of us," said the trainer.

Cameryn nodded and began her workout, "do you need a spot?" a voice asked from behind her.

"Uhh, yes please," she responded hoping this person would be nice enough to help her out. The voice belonged to Beth Mead, she'd heard a bit about her from Leah but not much; only that she was really nice and like a mother figure to the entire team.

Cameryn began her bench press slowly levelling up to find her required weight for the weeks to follow. "One more," said Beth as Cameryn was about to give up.

Cameryn thanked Beth for the spot and moved on to her next exercises of goblet squats and Bulgarian split squats. She thought that the trainers were genuinely trying to kill her right before team training.

The team's gym session eventually ended and they took a break for a quick lunch. Like normal, Leah and Cameryn sat together at the back table with some of the others; however, this time there was an uncomfortable silence in the air.

"We'll talk after training, okay Cam?" asked Leah before heading back to the gym for her afternoon session.

"Yes please, I'd like that," responded Cam hoping to repair whatever she ruined during their locker room conversation.

Cameryn's first training session was quite stressful without Leah by her side. She tried to stick with Ella and Alessia for the training but during the partner activities, she didn't have anyone to work with. Beth Mead thankfully came to her rescue and partnered up with her for the one and two-touch activities.

The training then developed into seven-on-seven games where Cameryn was put on a team with Ella Toone, Alessia Russo, Mary Earps, Millie Bright, Lotte Wubben-Moy and Niamh Charles. First up they were playing against Hannah Hampton, Lucy Bronze, Esme Morgan, Georgia Stanway, Keira Walsh, Lauren Hemp and Beth Mead.

The games progressed rather smoothly with Cameryn's team getting the first goal with a right-footed goal from Alessia Russo. The lead was quickly lost when Beth Mead scored a similar goal against them hitting top bins. Ella Toone made a strong dribble through the centre of the pitch and sent a through ball forward for Cameryn to collect. Alessia stood wide to the left as a second option but Cameryn took the shot on goal and slotted it right past Hannah's reach.