053 if only she were smarter

Start from the beginning

"Theseus is just fine," however, she knew he wasn't talking about him.

"Oh, I know," he smirked. Ariadne didn't like the implications he brought to the table. She didn't like how deep down, she knew he was right. The ministry was beginning to become overbearing, arresting anyone, desperate to finally end the reign of Grindelwald. And don't even get her started on the men who held positions of power.

She scoffed, "You're so full of yourself." Her words only made his smirk larger. However at the sound of footsteps, Ariadne hastily turned around, more jumpy than she realised. Rounding the corner was Theseus who was slightly out of breath. Turning back, Edwin was gone. The grandeur of the hallway consumed them as she sighed silently.

"You just disappeared," his words tumbled out, lacking strength which turned it into a question.

"We need to leave."

"What?" He asked, more dumbstruck than anything.

"Theseus," she insisted. With her sharp tone, he nodded.

"Okay." Down the stairs, something in the air had shifted. Stares became more distinguished, eyes glaring at Ariadne made her shrink back. Were they always there or did she just notice them because now she knew her father was here? Did they too know what was happening? She wondered if Theseus noticed anything. She wondered if he questioned why she drew closer to his side as she tried to hide from everyone around her. Ariadne wrapped an arm around his, half to bring him closer, half to lead him away from the glaring crowd quicker.

"Mr Scamander. Leaving so soon?" Almost to the majestic exit of the ballroom, a man's voice called out to them, stopping Theseus in his tracks which consequently made Ariadne stop. "You'll miss the main event." Ariadne swallowed, she knew that voice. Knowing that she couldn't hide by Theseus' side anymore, she turned to the man. As Theseus struggled to come up with something to say, it was clear that he didn't know the man in front of them.

"Do I know you?" Theseus finally questioned as Ariadne tried to rack her brain for the possibility that she had met him before. He just seemed so familiar. Her thoughts were interrupted by the clinking of glass and the man in front of them smirked. Following the sound, Ariadne's breath hitched as she spotted the man in the spotlight.

"I would like to say a few words," and in the living and breathing flesh, was Silas Nott. Holding a drink, all eyes turned to him. He seemed to shimmer with the attention as he stood next to Norman Abbott and his wife Isabella, who was with child. Actually this whole party was to celebrate the announcement of the baby. Ariadne should have known he would have been here. He was practically family to the Abbott's, knowing Norman's father quite well. She should have known he'd be here, supporting his Godson's as he celebrated his wife's pregnancy.

"Stop," she hissed, her voice low. She could feel Theseus's arm move for his wand, "Not here. You pull out your wand, everyone here will do the same. You won't catch him here." Silently, he obeyed.

"I would like to extend my happiness to Norman and his wife. A family is a beautiful thing to be congratulated on. Merlin, knows how important family is," his eyes seemed to immediately find Ariadne's. As their eyes connected she froze. He knew she was here and she finally saw him after so long, after swearing to never see him again. Her father held her gaze, sending shivers down her spine. "Parenthood marks the beginning of a new chapter, one filled with countless of memories to be made. Embarking on a new adventurer together, your child will be blessed to have you as parents. I just know it. Here's to the new parents. May your child be exactly like you and more."

And while everyone drank, Ariadne led Theseus away. Not caring about the way she pushed through the crowd or how they scowled back. She just wanted to get out. Isabella Abbott married Norman through an arranged marriage. She probably didn't even want the baby just like she didn't want Norman as her husband. And her father just talked about love like he had shown it to the world. As if he had any right to say any of that. Once she stepped foot outside the manor, she apparated away, bringing Theseus along with her.

"Did you know he was going to be there?" Theseus questioned, frustration in his tone. The streets were empty as darkness covered every inch. Cold air made Ariadne's arms shiver as the brick pathway was dimly lit. It smelt like rain while water seeped into the ends of Ariadne's dress.

"No. Of course not. Why do you think that I would?" Her voice was weaker than she would have liked. "He was supposed to be in Germany for all that I know." Her father was almost never home for the easter break. Ariadne just couldn't remember why. She never questioned it since it was the one time she enjoyed being at home. She didn't want to ruin the one time she got peace as a child. Her hand ran through her hair, tugging on the roots, hoping to cause more pain to ignore the one growing in her heart.

A hand slid down his face, "I need to alert the Ministry."

"And what will they do?" She argued. The ministry was useless but she couldn't let him try. "If you send a team, you're going to kill everyone there."

"So what? I just let him roam free when he could be apprehended tonight?" Theseus countered, taking a step towards her. "What if I wake up tomorrow and he's massacred hundreds?"

"He's not like that," she shot back quickly though her voice was small. Her teeth bit her tongue, hoping to stop the tears that weighed her eyes down.

"You keep defending him," he added, softer than before as he took in the state of her.

"Because you and Travers have the wrong image of him," Ariadne reasoned like it was as clear as the night sky, her voice raising. "He is cold, calculated. He works behind the scenes to make sure everything goes according to plan. As long as Grindelwald has him by his side, he can achieve anything." She could feel a tear slide down her cheek. Swallowing, she quickly wiped it away. "Please, Theseus. Don't send a team. You provoke him, everyone there will defend him. And they are ruthless. Please," she was practically begging him at this point, hoping that he would listen to her.

"Okay. Okay," he said slowly, closing his eyes for a second as he rubbed circles to clear the headache. "Hey, it's okay," he wrapped her in a warm embrace, "Shh, I'm here." He snaked one arm around her waist, the other around her neck. She held on tightly as she silently sobbed. It was twice now that Ariadne had broken down and Theseus had been there to hold her together. Ariadne hated this feeling. She hated that one man could have such an effect on her. She hated seeing Edwin again. She hated the fact that even after everything, she would always be terrified of her father. 

[1736 words]

a/n

damn this is lengthy. anyways, if we're confused on Edwin and Ariadne's relationship, i would say its like ur first love. (except they are strictly platonic). You want nothing to do with them but wish them all the best. You can't help but fret over them but hate their guts as well.  

if you're confused, dont worry, i kinda am too.

also i didn't proof read this properly soo bare with me.

kjlyds