𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙷𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙼𝚊𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛

Start from the beginning

"Very impressive, Dr. Grey. Your intern years off to a good start"

Lexi smiled at Derek for a moment and then looked back to the scans.

"How's it going? How are you and Meredith?"

"It's weird, the whole family thing. And plus, I think she might still hate me"

"She doesn't hate you," Derek told her.

"Really? Did she say that?"

Rosemary looked over at her. "I think it takes a lot for Meredith to hate someone, but no she never said that she does, but I know Meredith and I know she doesn't"

Derek nodded his head in agreement.

The two Shepherd's and Lexi we're now in Adam's room, filling Adam and his dad on what they are planning to do.

"First we're going to apply a halo, which uses weights and traction to pull your spine back into place," Rosemary told them.

"Traction?"

"Like at the gym. We stretch your upper body using weights until the tension pops the spine into position. Except it's act unlike at the gym, Dr. Shepherd needs to attach the traction device directly to your head by screwing two bolts into your skull" Lexi told him.

"That sounds painful"

"Painful is if he doesn't fix your spine. Painful is you never walk again. Okay. We gonna do this thing or what?"

Rosemary looked to her brother, than Lexi for a moment.

Rosemary was helping Lexi putting weights on one of the tractions.

"You hear that? Like a weight room. There's nothing to be scared of. He's been weight training since he was 8 years old"

Rosemary took a glance at the dad and slightly shook her head.

"Okay, Adam, I'm going to attach the tongs now. I need you to stay perfectly still during this procedure. Let the weights do all the work. Okay, you're gonna feel a little pressure, but with the neds we've given you, you shouldn't feel any pain" Derek said as he and Rosemary gently lowered the halo onto Adam's head. "All right. Here we go"

Rosemary was at the head of Adam's bed and was slowly turning a weight. "Try not to move your head, Adam"

"I'm-- I'm trying but... I don't know how much longer I can take this" Adam said.

"You'll take as much as they give you, son. Okay, now come on! You can do this"

"Adam, it's just another few pounds, you can do this I believe in you" Rosemary told him.

"Dr. Shepherd, maybe we should--"

"Lex it's only a few more pounds"

"I-I can't. Please take it off" Adam said.

"No, no. Can't quit. Push through it"

"Okay, just one more plate" Rosemary told him.

"Adam, you're strong. You can handle this want to be a quitter, do you? Huh, do you?"

"Okay, you know what? That's it. That's it. That's 20 pounds" Rosemary said.

"There, you did it. Right? Told you, you could do it"

"Somebody get him out. Please. Somebody get him out" Adam said begging them.

"Adam, I'm just trying to help out"

"Please get out! Get out! Get out! Get out!"

"Adam, Adam, calm down. Try not to upset him. Adam"

Lexi then walked up to him. "Adam, it's O-- It's okay" she said and grabbed his hand.

"Lex what are you doing? Don't touch him the slightest movement could-- put his hand down, gently please"

"I'm do sorry. I forgot" Lexi said looking at her.

"Lex it's fine just calm down and step back a little, it will be okay, don't panic"

Lexi nodded and stepped a little and placed her hands in her doctor's white coat. Derek then walked inside.

"Everything going good in here?"

Rosemary looked up at her brother and nodded. "Yeah, everything is good"

Edited: no

{1025}