CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

Magsimula sa umpisa

"I'm fine with that."

Callisto laughed at his quick reply, throwing her head back. Tamlin thought she might be the most beautiful thing he ever saw. Even when she was only wearing his shirt, the sleeved sliding off one of her titillating shoulders. Her hair, as dark as her shadows, fell in glorious disarray around her. "Let me remind you, High Lord, that you have responsibilities."

"I am Callisto's Mate before I am High Lord," he pointed out, leaning towards her. Callisto held her breath, his lips only centimeters away from hers. "Besides," he breathed. "What would you have us do instead, my love?"

Callisto tried to think past the lust crowding her mind. She gave him a soft peck on the lips before pulling back and getting to her feet. "Have you ever used the piano in the music room?" she asked.

Tamlin gazed at her, a hint of disappointment on his face, but he answered, nonetheless. "I only learned to play the fiddle as a child, before my father sent me off to the warm camps."

Callisto watched him pull his hand away, seeming to close in on himself. He traced the rim of his teacup, his gaze distant. Her eyes softened. She hated seeing this shadow touch him. Trying to keep her voice light, she pulled on his hand once more. "Well! That is a travesty we are about to correct. Come on!"

Tamlin hesistated, surprised by her sudden enthusiasm. "But I—"

"No, no. No excuses," Callisto cut in, already dragging him out of the dining hall. The sound of her laughter echoed down the corridor, and it chased away the sadness that lingered in Tamlin.

Callisto paused at the threshold of the music room. This haven of polished wood and music—this is where she first accepted that she wanted Tamlin. Their scent seemed to linger in the air as she led him to the bench, to the top of the piano where they had made love. She opened the lid, her movements confident yet gentle.

"Sit," she instructed, patting the space beside her.

A lopsided grin spread across Tamlin's face. He sat, his back straight, his gaze fixed on the imposing keyboard. Callisto, perched beside him, took his fingers and flexed them gently. "Don't worry," she whispered. "Just start with something simple. Like this."

She guided his fingers onto a few basic notes, a melody that was both melancholic and hopeful. Tamlin flinched at the discordant sounds, but Callisto's encouraging smile calmed him. He followed her lead, tentatively pressing the keys, surprised by the soft music that emerged.

As the afternoon wore on, the music room filled with laughter and the clinking of piano keys. Callisto's patience and gentle guidance helped Tamlin overcome his initial awkwardness. He learned simple chords, then melodies, his fingers finding their own rhythm. The music flowed from them, a shared language that transcended words.

"Not bad, High Lord," Callisto teased as he finished playing a short melody. "Although I am not surprised. You have very talented fingers."

Tamlin's green eyes widened at her, before turning dark. A smirk curved his lips, and Callisto wanted so badly to lean in and kiss him. "My, my. You, my mate, also have a wicked mouth."

"Hmm," Callisto hummed. "Cassian has made the same observation."

A low growl sounded from Tamlin. "I don't want you to talk about other males, right now, Callisto."

Their exchange was shattered by the sudden ripple of shadows at the doorway. Azriel stood there, his dark form framed by the light.

Tamlin's smile vanished, replaced by a wary alertness. Callisto, however, reacted differently. Her face lit up with surprise, and before Azriel could even react, she was rushing towards him, pulling him into a tight embrace.