Your personal testimony

Start from the beginning

The importance of saving one person is highlighted in two different parables in the gospel of Luke. 

The Parable of the Lost Sheep

"What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it?  And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing.  And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!' I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance. (Luke 15:4-7)

Jesus as the Shepard [85]

The Parable of the Lost Coin

"Or what woman, having ten silver coins, if she loses one coin, does not light a lamp, sweep the house, and search carefully until she finds it?  And when she has found it, she calls her friends and neighbors together, saying, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found the piece which I lost!'  Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents." (Luke 15:8-10)

The parable of the lost coin [86]

ELEMENTS OF A GOOD TESTIMONY

As you create and practice the story of Jesus' work in your life, keep these four important elements in mind:

CONCRETENESS: Give the audience details they can relate to. Describe experiences, places and persons accurately and unambiguously, but don't obsess over details. Include an identifiable and specific turning point (how you came to know Jesus Christ), even if it is just one of many turning points. Your testimony should come across as real and approachable.

ACCESSIBILITY: Describe experiences in such a way that the audience can relate and understand. Choose language free of religious jargon and dense terminology that could separate you from the audience, like "sin," "tabernacle" or "Eucharistic adoration." If you do need to use "churchy" words, take a moment to explain them. Also, ask yourself, "What parts of my story would be especially meaningful to this person?" You will likely emphasize different aspects of your testimony when you are talking to an atheist versus a lukewarm Christian.

SIMPLICITY: Include a "plot" or "thread" that is clear and easy to follow, without confusing tangents or elaborate details. Place Jesus Christ at the center of your testimony. He is its hinge. And be sure to keep it short, usually 3 – 5 minutes or less. Testimonies that are longer than five minutes usually get into too many details and don't have that simple focus for people to follow. A long, meandering testimony loses people and may even turn them off. [22]

Quote by Hans Urs Von Balthasar [87]

Lastly, we all need to be prepared to defend your testimony and Christianity. You will quickly learn people's thoughts related to God versus atheism, Christ versus alternative religions, and common biblical misconceptions. Your biblical study, study of comparative religions, study of scientific explanations of life and where faith and the unknown is still present in science, will help you to answer questions and steer a person before Christ. The wonderful aspect of growing in your Christian knowledge is the ability to help win others to Christ while also strengthening yourself in the Spirit. Remember that where you go and whom you share your testimony, you are not alone for Jesus walks and speaks with you. (Matt. 28:20)