Luke-warm Christians

"And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write,

'These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: "I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.  So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing'—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked—  I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.  As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne. (Rev. 3:14-21)

In Revelation Chapter 3, Jesus was giving a directive to the church at Laodicea. His word to them was specific, clear, and a bit foreboding. Laodicea was a very prosperous Phrygian city, with thriving banking and wool and medicinal product industries. Material wealth was all around, including within the church. But many in its congregation had let affluence dull their spirits. They became indifferent to the call God had put on their lives by neglecting doing good works, picking and choosing which of God's commands to obey, and becoming complacent and self-directed. [21]

Temple A, Laodicea [83]

Lukewarm Christians are detested by Jesus, who in Revelation above discusses how it would be better to be all the way in or all the way out, rather than sitting on the fence to be vomited out and rejected. This is because the intellectual understanding of salvation is understood, but no emotional involvement is present. We are called to engage in the Great Commission and walk in holiness, rejecting sin, and walking the narrow road. 

These Christians often understand the sins of commission, through personal biblical study, such as engaging in the seven deadly sins: wrath, pride, envy, lust, gluttony, greed, and sloth. The problem is often times engaging in the sins of omission with the seven virtues missing in their lives: kindness, humility, chastity, temperance, charity, and diligence. 

The 7 virtues versus the 7 sins [81]

In the book, Crazy Love, Francis Chan gives a profile of the lukewarm Christian. These people are all fairly regular in church, but:

Lukewarm Christians don't really want to be saved from their sin. They want only to be saved from the penalty of their sin. God is a useful fire escape they employ, not a God they worship.

Lukewarm Christians are moved by stories about people who do radical things for Christ, yet they do not do radical things themselves. They call "radical" what Jesus expects of all his followers.

Lukewarm Christians equate their partially sanitized lives with holiness. But Jesus didn't call us to sanitation; he called us to discipleship. If you are his follower, your life will not be defined only by avoiding sin but also by entering into his suffering.

Lukewarm Christians rarely share their faith with their neighbors, coworkers, or friends. Like Charles Spurgeon said, "You are either a missionary or an impostor!"

Lukewarm Christians think about life on earth much more often than eternity in heaven. Material possession carry more weight than treasures in Heaven unseen. 

Lukewarm Christians love their luxuries and rarely give to the poor in a truly sacrificial way. Fear of what is lost financially outweighs the love to give others in need. 

Lukewarm Christians do not live by faith; their lives are structured so they never have to. David Platt says, "If you're not in a place where you feel desperate for the Spirit of God, then there's no way you are on the front lines of the mission. When we are on the front lines, we feel desperately our need for God's help."

Lukewarm Christians give God their leftovers—not their first and best. God is not the priority only the needs of the self. 

Stop calling your complacency and apathy "a busy schedule" or "bills" or "forgetfulness." Call it what it is: evil (Malachi 1:8)

An old Scottish pastor named Robert Murray M'Cheyne told his congregation concerning this passage:

I am concerned for the poor but more for you. I know not what Christ will say to you in the great day ... I fear there are many hearing me who may know well that they are not Christians because they do not love to give. To give largely and liberally, not grudgingly at all, requires a new heart; an old heart would rather part with its life-blood than its money. Oh, my friends! Enjoy your money; make the most of it; give none away; enjoy it quickly, for I can tell you, you will be beggars throughout eternity. [20]

All or Nothing, Francis Chan [82]

The question every Christian must ask themselves is simply if their own needs come first before God. Have we built ourselves into our own idols that is in direct competition with God, or have we submitted to his will? Would any of our family or friends know that we are Christians or not by the life that we are living, and the actions and choices that we make? It is very easy to be kind when others are kind to us. The challenge is being kind to those who will not return the same favor, love those who will not love us back, forgive those that harbor resentment, and provide grace and mercy to all in the way that we want Jesus to perform for us.