Chapter 2 - A Simple Task

Start from the beginning

Now with all the football-related stuff in, the general clothes were required. Cameryn threw in jeans, tracksuit bottoms, hoodies, jackets, and t-shirts.

"Don't forget you're going to Australia, it's summer there."

She turned back to the pile of clothes grabbing out some shorts, and even a bikini.

"What are you going to do with that?" Jaime-Lee giggled.

"Swim of course."

The last essentials of toiletries, a beach towel, socks, bras and underwear were thrown in. The bag was beginning to fill up rather rapidly. There was barely enough room so she took her kit bag for the football gear and put her regular clothes in the suitcase. The bags were carried downstairs and placed near the front door right in Lianna's line of view.

"Look Mum, I've finished packing." Her mum looked truly shocked but a smile broke out across her face.

"I'm proud darling."

According to Sarina's email, Cameryn was allowed to take her car for the two-and-a-half-hour drive across to London. It also gave her a means of transport whilst over there.

"See wasn't that such a simple task?" asked Jaime-Lee, relief darting across her face.

"No. It wasn't."

Jaime-Lee and Cameryn's mum had no problem having a good laugh at her now that all the stress of packing was over.

"Okay, is there enough fuel in your car?" asked her mum. There was no response, "have you even checked?" 

"No," Cameryn responded while kicking her feet against the floor, "I'll go get fuel now."

Jaime-Lee and Cameryn jumped in the car and headed towards the petrol station.

"So, are you excited?" asked Jaime attempting to break the suspense that hung above them in the air of the car.

"Yeah, I guess. I'm a bit stressed about meeting the team, and the new training style, and who I'll be rooming with, and whether they'll like me, and if I'll fit in, or if they'll outcast me..." Cameryn continued to list off reasons why she was anxious for what seemed like forever.

Jamie eventually cut her off, "Stop. You're working yourself up too much. You are going to be fine and you know it so I don't know why you're making up these hypothetical scenarios that put you in the worse-off position."

"I don't know if I'm ready for this opportunity. I'm only 19 years old and I still live at home with my mum. I'm not old enough to be travelling the world yet, I have other things to be doing that aren't playing for my country."

Cameryn's heart was racing and her breathing was stagnant, but Jaime-Lee kept a firm grasp on her hands enough to calm her down.

"Hey, everyone is rooting for you, even Sarina. She was so excited to speak to you and when you accepted she sounded even more ecstatic. You're going to do amazing because you are an amazing player and any team would be lucky to have you. Now get it together and get this fuel because it is now 10 pm, and you have to leave in seven hours."

Cameryn began to giggle and hopped out of the car to pump the fuel. After dashing in to pay and buy some chocolate she returned to the car. A short trip home meant that they got home around 10.05 pm and Cameryn headed upstairs to shower and go to bed. She hugged Jaime-Lee at the door and mentioned they'd catch up when she got back.

The shower was rather peaceful, unlike the rest of the day. Cameryn washed, blow-dried and straightened her hair to try and look best for tomorrow's introduction. She couldn't let anything stand in the way of the squad liking her.

As she climbed into bed that night, she opened her phone to see the England page had finally posted the names for the Lionesses Camp. Cameryn May was placed underneath the mid-field title with the names of Ella Toone, Georgia Stanway and Keira Walsh just to name a few.

She opened the comments to see everyone wondering who on Earth this Cameryn May girl is. Some people knew who she was and were deathly excited about the fact that a Bristol City player had got a call-up, but the majority of the comments were from people wanting to know who she was.

"They'll know who Cameryn May is soon," she whispered to herself before flicking off her phone. She plugged it into charge and rolled over to go to sleep. Her mind was running a million miles an hour wondering what tomorrow was going to be like, but eventually, she fell asleep.

Tomorrow was going to be the start of the next chapter of her life, and Cameryn May could not wait to see where this would take her.

WORDS: 1304

a/n: bit of a shorter chapter but wanted to set up for her meeting the squad and what her thoughts are going into it