Chapter 1: The Bunny

"Love you Dad!" I hummed as I closed the front door. A smile lingering on my face as he wishes me good luck on my first day. I raced over to my friends, Wren, Selah, and Blake. Wren is a tall redhead with fiery green eyes that could burn through anyone's skull. Despite her testy gaze, she's one of the nicest out of my friends– dressed in a white frilly crop top and light blue jean shorts. She greets me with excitement, waving wildly before continuing to walk towards the school. Selah is a gothic woman. She wore black sweatpants, large boots, and a long sleeve shirt. Her sleeves were rolled up to display her large biceps the size of tree trunks and tattoos dancing their way up her arms. Blake dresses like me, which I love. She decided to wear a white sundress with green flowers decorating its plain base and wore her hair up.

"Cute outfit, like always~" Wren purrs, reaching for my cheek to pinch it. I gently lowered my chin to avoid her prying fingers and grinned. I had thrown on a baby pink skirt and a white blouse with my dirty blonde hair straightened to the point it could reach my lower back.

"Are you nervous?" I hear Blake ask quietly from beside me, tearing my gaze away from my feet. I met her eyes and raised my brow. She reached for my hand and grabbed it with her own, giving me a shy grin. "Not really." I admit a bit awkwardly which only deepened her smile. "I was." She admitted before Wren chimed in. "Don't worry Sophie, I wasn't nervous either. I was very ready to go into Highschool and meet all kinds of new people! Go to parties, get drunk, meet guys..." She trailed off as Blake cuffed her on the shoulder sternly.

"It's not that big of a deal Blake." Selah murmured quietly, hands tucked deep into her pockets as her icy gaze slid over to us. "She's not a baby, she'll be fine." She shrugged dismissively before returning her gaze to the roadway, watching a black van drive by. "Yeah! High School is fun! Worst thing that'll happen is if you get Mr. Hampton who loves to fart around in class." Wren grimaced, waving a hand in front of her face as if something stank.

I'll keep that in mind, I averted my gaze and eyed the other people gathering on the sidewalk, all of them making their way to the school-building which was relatively nearby. Most people were dressed with flashy clothes– while others looked as if they rolled out of bed and threw shoes on to go to school. Maybe they did.

There was no need to drive to school. It was an easy walk for everyone except people who lived further up the hill, but even for them: it was a 20 minute walk. I sighed, the fresh air making my head feel lighter and each step becoming easier. I perked up at the sight of Max, he was finely dressed. He wore a button-down shirt and trousers with brand new white vans on. His hair a dirty brunette color and his eyes a dark chocolate brown. Our eyes met and he seemed pleased to see me. I waved at him as we turned the corner towards the school but concern danced in my stomach as his gaze darkened. What was that all about? I'll ask him once we get there. I tightened my grip on Blakes hand as nerves bubbled into the pit of my stomach.

                                                                                      ⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜

"Hey Max!" I kept my greeting friendly as I scampered over to him, peering up at his scrawny figure. "Max.." Selah greeted dryly, her arms crossing as she stared at him. He chuckled nervously and glanced between her and myself. I tucked my hands behind my back and hummed, "You okay?" He nodded vigorously and cleared his throat. "Yeah, no problem. Just surprised to see you here." He admitted, running his fingers through his messy hair.

I tilted my head, hearing Wren scoff in my left ear. "What?" I couldn't help but laugh, his words sounded ridiculous. Why would he not expect me to be here? I grew confused. I had told him numerous times that I would be going to high school next year. Even so, he already knew this so why was he acting strange.