Chapter 1: The Bunny

"Love you Dad!" I hummed as I closed the front door. A smile lingering on my expression as he wishes me good luck. I raced over to my friends, Wren, Selah, and Blake. Wren is a tall redhead with fiery green eyes that could burn through anyone's skull. Despite her testy gaze, she's one of the nicest out of my friends– dressed in a white frilly crop top and light blue jean shorts. She greets me with excitement, waving wildly before continuing to walk towards the school. Selah is a gothic woman. She wore black sweatpants, large boots, and a long sleeve shirt. Her sleeves were rolled up to display her large biceps the size of tree trunks and tattoos dancing their way up her arms. Blake dresses like me, which I love. She decided to wear a white sundress with green flowers decorating its plain base and wore her hair up.

"Cute outfit, like always~" Wren purrs, reaching for my cheek to pinch it. I gently lowered my chin to avoid the prying fingers and grinned. I had thrown on a baby pink skirt and a white blouse with my dirty blonde hair straightened to the point it could reach my lower back.

"Are you nervous?" I hear Blake ask quietly from beside me, tearing my gaze away from my feet. I met her eyes and raised a brow. She reaches for my hand and grabs it with her own, giving me a shy grin. "Not really." I admit a bit awkwardly which only deepens her grin. "I was." She admitted before Wren chimed in. "Don't worry Sophie, I wasn't nervous either. I was very ready to go into Highschool and meet all kinds of new people! Go to parties, get drunk, meet guys~" She trailed off giggling as Blake cuffed her on the shoulder sternly.

"It's not that big of a deal Blake." Selah murmured quietly, hands tucked deep into her pockets as her icy gaze slid over to us. "She's not a baby, she'll be fine." She shrugged dismissively before returning her gaze to where we were walking. "Yeah! High School is fun!.. Worst thing that'll happen is you get Mr. Hampton who loves to fart around in class." Wren grimaced, waving a hand in front of her face as if something stank.

I'll keep that in mind, I averted my gaze from them and eyed the other people gathering on the sidewalk, all of them making their way to the school-building. Most dressed nicely with flashy clothes– while others looked as if they rolled out of bed and threw shoes on to go to school. Maybe they did.

There was no need to drive to school. It was an easy walk for everyone except people who lived further up the hill, but even for them: it was a 20 minute walk. I sighed, the fresh air making my head feel lighter and each step becoming easier. I perked up at the sight of Max, he was finely dressed. He wore a button-down shirt and trousers with brand new white vans on. His hair a dirty brunette color and his eyes a dark chocolate brown. Our eyes met and he seemed pleased to see me. I waved at him as we turned the corner towards the school but concern danced in my stomach as his gaze darkened. What was that all about? I'll ask him once we get there. I tightened my grip on Blakes hand as nerves bubbled into my stomach.

⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜

"Hey Max!" I kept my greeting friendly as I scampered over to him, looking up at his scrawny figure. "Max.." Selah greeted dryly, her arms crossing as she stared at him. He chuckled nervously and glanced between her and myself. I tucked my hands behind my back and hummed, "You okay?" He nodded vigorously and cleared his throat. "Yeah, no problem. Just surprised to see you here." He admitted, running his fingers through his messy hair.

I tilted my head, hearing Wren scoff in my left ear. "What?" I couldn't help but laugh, his words sounding ridiculous. "Not like that!" He jumped to defend himself. "I just forgot.. is all." He mumbled out weakly, his hand making its way on top of my head, giving it a slight rub. He smiled as I grumbled crossly, batting his hand away.

"It's just different here, you know?" He tried to reason with me. My brows only furrowed further into my eyes– trying to make sense of what he was on about. The expression on the girls' faces told me they were also lost. Max sucked in a breath before sighing, getting impatient. "I'm just trying to say you're super nice and it worries me." He finally admits, "I don't want you to go around being nice to everyone. Keep some standards and honestly.. try and stay in your own friend group."

Wren scoffed, quick to jump onto him. "Keep some standards? Are you trying to say she doesn't have any damn standards?" His eyes widened and he lifted his hands up defensively. "No! Nothing like that."

Each girl jumped into the conversation while I let my gaze travel around the halls at the many people wandering in them. Examining the room numbers on the walls to the many classrooms and allowed my gaze to lock onto a taller woman wandering the halls. Her hair was up in a tight bun, her makeup heavy and her dress long and blue like the sky with heels too high to be comfortable to walk on. I pry myself away from her once she disappears into a room and regain focus on Max.

"Why did you ask me that?" I murmur. He seemed thankful I spoke up– all three girls prepared to pounce on him any moment. His shoulders slacked slightly and his gaze landed on me. "Well," He began his fingers dancing with each other as his nerves rose. "Not everyone here is nice, and I don't want to see you get hurt. That's all." He kept his words short and averted his gaze too often to make me feel comforted by his words. He could see that clearly and sighed. "Come here." He lowered his voice, waving me closer. Selah's eyes gleamed with interest as she neared, resting her hand on my shoulder as I took a few steps closer.

"There's a guy, specifically, I want you to steer clear of." His words caught Wren's attention– her tantrum forgotten as she trotted over, her gaze baring into his own. "Who?" I asked innocently, hooking my hands together and giving them a squeeze as I peered up at him. He wriggled under my gaze, tearing it away. "His name is Mike. He's bad company. I don't want you near him– any of you." He added swiftly, looking at Selah specifically. She stared right back as my head swirled, trying to wrap itself around what I had just heard. "What did he do?" Blake asked the question I had been trying to figure out on my own. "I think we can handle our own." Wren added, crossing her arms.
"Well, if it means anything to you," his tone grew bitter as he glanced over. "But the first day I met him: He broke my arm in two places. It took quite some time to heal!" My eyes widened, looking at his arm and examined it swiftly as if it had just happened. "..happened a year ago." He added, noticing my prying gaze. "Ever stop to think that maybe you deserved it?" Selah grumbled. Max returned her scornful gaze and sighed. "I don't think I did."

"Of course you didn't! Why would you?" Wren continued her silent attack, raising her chin as she stared up at him. "The point is–" He cut them off and looked into the depths of my eyes. "You'll be safe and steer clear of him?" I darted my eyes around as tension built. "Sure." I hesitated with my response. Max was being too strange about the whole ordeal, it wasn't very comforting at all. "I'll do my best." I promised.

The bell jumped me from my thoughts, Selah grabbed my arm as my soul threatened to ascend to the heavens early. Max peered down the hall and grunted. "I got a class to go to, I'll sit with you at lunch?" He asked as he took off. "Sure!" I called after him, watching his figure round the corner before disappearing. "I've heard about him!" Wren says casually as she made her way down the hall, Selah, Blake, and myself in pursuit. "Have you?" I asked, rubbing the back of my hand. She nodded, a dirty smirk creeping up on her expression which made Blake roll her eyes and sigh.

"I've heard a lot of good things~" She hummed before a hand flew towards her head which she ducked under just in time. "Okay, okay! I'll stop!" She laughed. I smiled as they began to gossip– talking about their crushes and people they dislike. I grew quiet as my mind began to wander elsewhere. Wondering what I'll be doing today besides the basics: greeting my new teachers, getting to know other students and learning my schedule.
An unflavorful taste filled my mouth as my body grew cold, chills sprawling up my spine. Bile rose in my throat and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. Without thought my pace began to slow as the feeling of being watched overcame my senses. The feeling was unwelcoming and dark, like a looming shadow was nearby. I slid my gaze around, looking for the source of the feeling. I locked on to an empty doorway– feeling a strong pull coming from it. It was the boys restroom, yet despite staring directly at it the feeling didn't stop. Someone was watching me.

"Sophie, come on!" Blake called to me, tearing me from my thoughts. "Oh, sorry!" I replied swiftly, hurrying after them. I casted one last glance over my shoulder back at the doorway but the feeling had melted away. Perhaps I was imagining it.