48. {chocolates and apologies}

Start from the beginning

once she was out of sight, hawk shut the door and let himself in. "hey." he greeted his girlfriend. "i got this for you." he handed it to her.

"thank you." she immediately placed it on the table.

gioia hadn't seen him since they left miyagi do. he looked different. his hair was cut down short, nearly buzzed. and he had a softer expression on his face.

"gioia, i'm really, really sorry." he sighed, taking bianca's place on the couch.

"why haven't you spoken to me?" she asked, sadly.

"i know, it was such an asshole thing to do. i was just embarrassed that you'd seen me like that and i didn't know what to say. then i quit karate and i didn't leave my house, i lost myself. i realised i had treated everyone so badly and i got what i deserved. then demetri came to see me and he helped me understand that i don't need the mohawk to be me. so now i'm back to just... eli."

gioia looked at him kindly, understanding his despair. "i know it can be hard to show your emotions, but i-it hurt how you ignored me. and i get you were embarrassed but do you remember the first time i came into your house? you cried in my arms."

eli looked down in sadness, remembering the exact day she had come over to begin the chemistry project and he had felt horrible about himself. that felt like forever ago.

"you were vulnerable then, and i was there for you." gioia reminded him. "i always want to support you and be there for you, but you have to open up to me."

eli nodded, feeling a pang of guilt for shutting her out. "i'm sorry, gia. you're right, i need to work on being more open with you. i just feel so stupid."

gioia reached out and gently took his hand. "it's okay, eli. i understand, but our friendship was filled with a lack of communication and i don't want our relationship to be the same." she finalised.

"neither do i. i'm sorry." eli spoke. "i'll try to explain my feelings better, i promise. and i won't leave you in the dark for days again."

"okay." gioia gave him a weak smile. he leaned over and placed a chaste kiss on her forehead, making her smile grow stronger.

"i missed you."

"i missed you." gioia hummed, "don't do it again."

eli abruptly stood up from the couch. "come on." he extended his arm out for her.

she took his hand and he pulled her up. "where are we going?"

"have you had breakfast?" eli questioned, opening the front door.

"no."

"perfect!" he exclaimed. the boy paused, that didn't sound right. "not perfect that you haven't had breakfast, but perfect you haven't had it yet because i wanted us to go out and get some."

"no, it's okay." gioia began, trying to convince him otherwise.

"oh, no don't worry!" eli reassured her, not noticing her discomfort.

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

as he drove away from the bakery, eli couldn't help but sneak glances at gioia. her side of the window was open and he thought she looked so beautiful with her long, golden hair and bright blue eyes. eli had been head over heels for the girl for so long and he wanted to make sure she knew it.