Character Spotlight

Character Spotlight

The Storytellers have spoken, and the OC of the month is... Raiden Yamamoto from JunieWeathers' I'm No Hero series!

Name: Raiden Marco Antonio García-Yamamoto (Nicknames: he typically goes by Yamamoto, or Raiden with close friends; Hero Name: Valiente)

Pronouns: he/him

Birthday: January 2nd

Quirk: Ultra Strength - By activating his Quirk, he can double his natural strength. Because of this, he needs to eat high-protein foods and work out constantly.

Class/Occupation: Hero Course, Class 1-A

Featured Books: He's the main character in I'm No Villain, but is a featured character in I'm No Hero, What Makes A Hero, and What Makes A Villain. He also makes an appearance in U.A. Storytellers' U.A. Babysitters and Things Worth Fighting For.

Life Goals: He wants to become a Pro Hero.

Here is what the author had to say about her character:

"After watching the first season, there were a lot of "what if" questions I had that not only affected the main character and storyline of I'm No Hero, but Raiden as well. I wondered what would happen if there was a character very similar to Bakugo and Todoroki and how that character would interact with others. Only, I didn't want him to have a Quirk that made him stand out. I wanted him to be what could be considered as a failure of a Quirk Marriage. This, in turn, would make him not only strive to be his very best, but also affect his personality, becoming this character that was very rough around the edges because he knew from day one, he wasn't' enough, and he only wants to prove himself that he is, especially to his father.

One problem I had with many stories in the past was the feeling that characters were all the same, so instead of making him pure Japanese descent, he's part Mexican thanks to his mother's side. This not only gave me the opportunity to create more diversity, but it also gave me a chance to learn about another culture. It also gave me a chance to humanize him as when the reader first meet him, he cold, mean, and comes off as intimidating, but when introduced to his rather large family, finding out where he comes from, and that in a way, he's not that different from Tami in a way. It's not a sudden change, but I wanted there to be a moment where readers started to understand him more, so I made sure that part of his culture was included.

Overall, I wanted my characters to feel real, complex, and something people could connect with, whether it be a shared culture, a similar personality trait, or the hard work and dedication this character has in his everyday life."

"