Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Ok...this was getting intense. I thought we were just gonna listen to a stupid riddle, then go on a little treasure hunt, maybe beat up a few bandits and get Blondie back her precious key. Now this fishy dude was going on and on about how that mermaid's stupid key was just one of some necessary components to some godsforsaken potion that gave the drinker the power to destroy the whole world. I mean come on! How do things like this keep happening to these weak ass fairies!? It sounded like this trip might take a lot longer than just a couple of weeks as I had initially thought.

I felt myself stifling a sigh. Oh well, at least I could probably use this to convince Minerva to get back and mind the fucking guild why we hike off to gods only know where.

It was like she could hear that thought take form in my fucking brain because she immediately opened her mouth to use it to suggest the exact fucking opposite of what I was hoping for.

"It seems, good spirit, there is more on the line here than the key of a beloved comrade," she said smoothly in that stupidly silky, sexy voice she had. I mentally rolled my eyes, careful not to attract any attention to myself again. I had got to stop thinking things like that. What I had with mila–Minerva, I thought firmly, was over. And it wasn't even that big of a deal, just a blip on the radar. A one night stand really...just one that incredibly fucked me up, physically and emotionally. I scoffed again, I'm the fucking white dragon slayer, I'm not supposed to be caught up emotionally on anything. No, I thought, that was the old me. The Jiemma version of Sting Eucliffe, emotionless, cruel, conniving, power hungry. That's not who I was, not who Weisslogia raised me to be. It was who Jiemma, and if I'm being honest, who his daughter crafted me to be. I shook my head, disgusted at myself, trying to get back on track. Now is not the time, get your ass in gear! I ordered myself, finally I was able to turn my attention back to Minerva.

"The world is at stake," she turned her gaze on Lucy and directed her words to the blond mage. "I offer up my company and support on this journey. To help you defeat those who wish to do harm to others and bring your comrade home." A stunned silence followed that little display. For me, Yukino and Rogue, it was the most we heard Minerva speak all day. For Lucy, I can only imagine what was going through her head. Setting aside Minerva's torture of Lucy at the games, she was also pivotal in trying to destroy Fairy Tail and bring back Zeref when Tartaros attacked 6 months back. I can't imagine Lucy could be so quick to forgive and forget. I know I wouldn't be.

So I was more than a little surprised when Lucy smiled that brilliant smile of hers and genuinely thanked Minerva for her offer and accepted. No way. I knew Celestial magic was favored by those pure of heart but I mean...come on! No one was that kind, that forgiving. No way could it be genuine. But as I stared dumbfounded at the curvy blond sitting next to me, I could see that she was exactly that kind, pure and forgiving. She had an absolute glow about her. And I was impressed earlier when she treated Minerva with such kindness, let alone when she treated Lector and Frosch like people and not pets, making sure they were safe and welcome in the conversation. Damn, no wonder Natsu stuck to her like glue. Thinking of Natsu, where was the fire headed idiot? It felt like he should be here, and I was kind of looking forward to seeing my old rival slash idol again. Not that I'd ever admit it out loud. I looked around the room and could see no signs of the pink haired dumbass.

I gave a big sniff, relying on my dragon senses, but apart from all the Tigers' I brought with me and the slight salty and fishy smell of the weird ass spirit hovering in his own private bathtub, all I could smell was that delicious aroma of Lucy. A little sweet, maybe a tad tart, almost like strawberries and cream. Mmmmm, bet Natsu appreciated this little aspect of Blondie too.