1| s̶a̶r̶a̶h̶

Start from the beginning

The sound of the front door opening and shutting brought the two girls' attention to the hallway. After a few moments, the familiar gruff looking Joel appeared. He was clad in his worn out jeans and a plain dark green t shirt that had certainly seen better days. His hair was wild and his face had a light coating of dirt and sweat. Even after a 10 hour shift, Rose couldn't help but ogle him slightly.

"Well, what's happening here?" His deep but smooth voice filled the room.

"She was kind enough to stop at Sarah's Salon. Since ya know. . You didn't." Sarah scrunched her nose up at her dad as she continued to paint Rose's fingernails.

"Better her than I." He grumbled with a small smirk on his lips.

He rubbed his face as he looked at Rose in amusement. Clips littered her hair, bright nail polish was covering her nails, and the strong smell of cinnamon filled the house. She narrowed her eyes at the man playfully, daring him to say anything about her current appearance.

"Joel, I think it's time you come'n join me. She needs different test subjects - I mean clients." Rose nodded at the empty spot next to her for him.

"No, no. I'm good." He put his hands up in surrender, slowly backing up towards the steps.

"Joel." She puffed out his name.

He continued to retreat and made his way to the steps, taking them two at a time with his long legs. He yelled down before disappearing into his room to shower.

"Sugar. Please stay for dinner."

The sound of his door shutting ended the interaction. Rose looked to Sarah who was silently chuckling.

"That means I have to make it though, right?"

"You know him so well."

☠︎

Rose was sat on the counter, her feet swinging idly as she watched the food cooking in the oven. The familiar heavy footsteps approaching signaled that Joel was out of the shower and now finally showing his face. She was sure he took his good ole time so he didn't have to involve himself in any salon activities.

"You know, you can't hide from the salon life forever." She grinned at the man who slowly approached her.

He crossed his arms over his chest and gave a shrug of innocence. He leaned down and peaked into the oven, eyeing the pizza that was warming up.

"I don't know what you're talkin bout, babygirl." He called her by the sweet nickname he tended to use for her, making her blush slightly. She huffed and lightly punched his shoulder.

"Don't you try to sweet talk me." She told him, trying to hold her smile back.

"I'm just an innocent man being verbally attacked." He laughed, rubbing his stubbled face.

"Yea yea, whatever." She hopped off the counter, stepping towards the man.

Now that she was back on the ground, the height difference between the two was obvious. Joel towered over her. His tall stature and built body made her feel so tiny in his presence - but she certainly didn't mind the view. He watched her closely as she approached him, pausing for a moment.

Before he could move, she turned and grabbed the oven mitts that were set out, quickly slipping them on her small hands. She opened the oven, the wave of warmth made her nerves spike for just a moment. She grabbed the pizza and placed it on top of the stove, smelling the delicious aroma from it.

"Ahh the beautiful smell of a frozen pizza." She laughed, glancing to Joel who had still been watching her closely.

"The best damn smell around." He agreed.

"Sarah!" Rose walked over to the edge of the kitchen and looked to the girl who was sat on the ground, painting her own toe nails.

"Time to eat, baby." Joel called out to his daughter as he cut the pizza into individual slices.

"I'm comin." She grumbled as she closed the polish bottle, getting to her feet.

The girl waddled her way over to the table, trying not to ruin the paint job she had just completed. Rose laughed at her movements and tilted her head slightly.

"That's a cute walk." She commented to the young girl.

Sarah rolled her eyes at her and took a seat, waiting for her food with wide eyes. Rose grabbed her a slice and set her plate in front of her. Joel reached out to grab a slice, only for her to lightly smack his hand.

"Ow! What was that for?" He gave a look of pain - which was completely fake.

"Sit your ass down. You're gonna eat off of a plate, Joel." Rose laughed and pushed him towards the table.

He obeyed and took a seat at the head of the table, watching Rose gather their food. Sarah watched her father as he watched the brunette. A small grin appeared on her lips as she leaned towards him, whispering so that Rose couldn't hear her.

"You likeeee her."

Joel choked on the water he had just took a sip of, setting the glass back down. He let out a string of coughs as he gave his daughter a wild eyed look.

"What? No, what -"

"Are you okay?" Rose approached with his food, setting it down in front of him. She wearily watched him as he gathered himself.

"I can't have you dyin on me, J." She lightheartedly told him as she took a seat next to him.

He glared at his daughter who still had a wide smirk on her face as he slapped his chest a few times, clearing his throat.

"I'm fine. I'm fine."

☠︎