Chapter 1

Thanos boarding the ship was unexpected. The Asgardians slaughtered by the Black Order lie on the floor, blood everywhere. Thor and I were battered from the ambush and while I stood, my brother was exhausted on the ground. We needed rescue and instead received death.

"Hear me and rejoice. You have had the privilege of being saved by the Great Titan. You may think this is suffering. No... It is salvation. Universal scales tip towards balance because of your sacrifice. Smile... For even in death, you have become Children of Thanos."

I mentally scoffed despite the position I was in. Even if Maw's speech reached the dead ears of the slaughtered, it would fall on deaf ears of the living. To think I would once again be in the presence of Thanos, I'm honestly surprised he didn't seek me out after I failed to get the Tesseract six years ago.

"I know what it's like to lose. To feel so desperately that you're right... yet to fail, nonetheless." Thanos picks up my brother like he was nothing. "It's frightening. Turns the legs to jelly. I ask you, to what end? Dread it. Run from it. Destiny arrives all the same. And now, it's here. Or should I say... I AM."

"You talk too much." Thor sputters out blood.

Then he turned towards me. Thanos smirked as he readied the gauntlet holding the Power Stone. And as much as I wasn't particularly in favor of my brother any more hurt, it was bound to happen. I also have a reputation to uphold in front of the Titan.

"The Tesseract or your brother's head. I assume you have a preference?" He asked me.

I give a dark chuckle. "Oh I do. Kill away!"

The pain on Thor's face was immediate. His cries as I watched hurt me internally. Even after all these years, I couldn't find joy in the pain of others. Especially the only family I have left.

"ALRIGHT, STOP!" I shout.

Grimacing at Thor's condition, I start to wonder if this'll be the end for us. Will we go to Valhalla and see Mother and Father? Do I even deserve to go when all I've done is cause pain and suffering to both Asgard and Midgard? I might as well be in Helheim already for my crimes. Thor doesn't deserve to have a brother like me. And I never deserved the unreciprocated, unconditional love both him and Mother have given me my entire life. I wasn't destined for a life of joy. I was destined for failure and misery.

A groan of pain escapes Thor as he spoke up. "We don't have the Tesseract. It was destroyed on Asgard."

I sighed when I glanced towards him. If only it actually was.

Revealing it in my hand, disappointment was shown on my brother's face.

"You really are the worst, brother."

Slowly, I approach Thanos holding out the Tesseract. "I assure you, brother, the Sun will shine on us again." I stated. I give a soft smile towards him.

"Your optimism is misplaced, Asgardian."

Smirking up at Thanos, I respond. "Well, for one thing: I'm not Asgardian. And for another... We have a Hulk."

Ducking out of the way, Hulk lunges at Thanos and fighting continues. 'Glad to be on Hulk's side this time around' I thought, recalling New York. The memory taught me that you do not call Hulk a 'dull creature' unless you're asking for death. For what it's worth, the beast is useful when piting it against others.