Secret Admirer (End)

Start from the beginning

    Every moment I spend with you is like magic.

   I'll never, ever forget you for the rest of my life

   You have stolen my heart...I sincerely hope you're satisfied.

   Love,

   Your Secret Admirer

   Tears welled up in Himiko's eyes. It was the sweetest, most wonderful poem she had ever read. She hugged it close to her chest. 

   "Himiko!" came Tenko's voice. Himiko turned to see Tenko, Angie, and Tsumugi walking over to her. "Himiko! You look like you've been crying! What's wrong?!" Himiko wiped her tears and showed them the poem from her secret admirer.

   "A secret admirer?!" Tsumugi breathed. "That is just plain romantic!"

    "Yes! Yes! It truly is!" Angie agreed. "It might be from Kokichi!" As much as Himiko wanted that to be true, she dared not hope it. Then again, Kokichi did lie, for whatever reason, about Angie not being able to walk home after school yesterday, so it's possible that he was also lying about not liking anyone at school. She was afraid, but she had to admit that his lie gave her a bit of hope. Hope that maybe Kokichi did like her, and was her secret admirer after all. She smiled to herself as she clung to that hope. 

    ***

   It was after school. Himiko had spent the whole day lost in her thoughts, wondering who her secret admirer could possibly be. As much as she kept telling herself it wasn't Kokichi, a small part of her believed it was. After all, none of the other boys made much effort to talk to her like Kokichi did. Or, it's possible that one of the boys didn't talk to her because he was too shy, unlike Kokichi. Himiko sighed. She went up to her and Tenko's room and immediately removed the note from her backpack. She sat down on her desk, reading the note over and over again, dreamily tracing the letters with her finger. She sighed longingly, wishing her secret admirer would just show up and take her away. 

   "Himikoooo!" came Kokichi's voice. Himiko gasped in surprise as she looked up and saw him standing in her doorway. He waltzed right into the room and stood next to her chair, looking down at her secret admirer's note. "What'cha got there?"

   "Oh, um...it's nothing," Himiko answered with a small shrug. "Just something I got in my locker today." 

   "Ooooo! Is it a loooove letter?" Kokichi teased. 

   "See for yourself," Himiko replied, showing him the note. Kokichi took the note and read it. 

   "Huh...wow. Whoever wrote this must be a real mush lord!" he said. "This guy must have it real bad for you."

   "Yeah..." Himiko said softly as Kokichi handed the note back to her. She sighed as she continued gazing dreamily at it. Kokichi stared at her, surprised at how intense her gaze was. 

   "You really like that letter, huh?" he said. Himiko looked up at him.

   "It's the most beautiful thing I've ever read," she said. She rested her arms on her desk, and then her chin on her arms, sighing. "Nobody's ever said anything like that to me before." 

   "Ah..." Kokichi said. "Well, um...I'll leave you alone, then." He turned to leave the room. He hid behind the wall next to her doorway and silently peeked inside. Himiko kept staring at the note, not lifting her eyes from it for one second. Kokichi let out a small breath of surprise and smiled to himself. He was happy to have made her feel as if there was someone out there for her. But, he wanted to do something else for her. Something small, just enough to make her Valentine's Day more special. He thought of something and rushed down to his room. He grabbed a heart-shaped lollipop that Ibuki had given him. He went back upstairs, taking a deep breath before entering her room. With one hand, he hid the lollipop behind his back, and with the other, he knocked on the door. Himiko looked up.

   "Yes?" she asked. Kokichi lifted his hand from behind his back to reveal the lollipop to her. Himiko blinked in surprise. "F-For me?"

   "Yeah," Kokichi replied. Himiko raised her brow in suspicion. 

   "Is this a joke?" she asked cautiously.

   "Nope! Just thought I'd show you a better Valentine's Day gift than that mushy, old love letter," Kokichi replied with a small shrug. 

   "Nyeh...you think a lollipop is better than this letter?!" Himiko asked incredulously.

   "Well...last time I checked, love letters don't taste like strawberry...duuuhhh..." Kokichi replied, waving his lollipop up and down. 

    "That's true, but this love letter is definitely sweeter," Himiko said. "And you don't have to worry about getting diabetes from it, or having your teeth rot." 

    "True, but is that guy brave enough to give you a lollipop to your face?" Kokichi asked. Himiko gave him a small smile.

   "I guess not," she answered.

   "Mm-hmmm...soooo, what are you waiting for?" Kokichi said. "My arm is getting tiiiired." Himiko took the lollipop from him. 

   "Nyeh...thank you," she said. 

   "Yup!" Kokichi replied with a cheeky grin. "Happy Valentine's Day...sucker! Nee-heehee...get it?"

    "I get it," Himiko replied with a smile. Kokichi smiled back at her. Their eyes locked for a brief moment before Kokichi waved goodbye to her and left the room. He exhaled deeply as he hid behind the wall next to the doorway and peeked into her room again. Himiko was now smiling happily as she twirled the lollipop in her hand. She sighed dreamily as she stared at it. Kokichi smiled at her. 

   Happy Valentine's Day...my beloved Himiko, he thought to himself.