𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

Start from the beginning

Finally turning her head fully in his direction, she briefly met his eyes, and was instantly filled with regret. "I..." The word came out as a restricted whisper, and she shook her head. "It doesn't matter." And she turned to look back out of the window.

"Hey," John reached over and placed his hand over her arm. He was sure he felt a small jolt under her jacket, and her body stiffen under his touch. "Why're ya askin' me silly questions like that, eh?"

"I said it doesn't matter," she replied somewhat sternly. "Just don't think the others like having me around that much, that's all."

"That's ridiculous!" He chortled with a shake of his head. "Obviously they like having you around, whenever you have been, that is..." he trailed off, with the knowledge that Elena's presence had been scarce for the majority of the time Zeppelin had been together.

"Yeah, like I said, it doesn't matter, does it?" She looked ahead of her, watching as the road came towards them with every movement. "I'm just being stupid."

There was nothing John wanted more in that moment than to prod at Elena, get her to talk. He'd been trying for the whole week, tactic after tactic, but no matter how much he tried, Elena would very swiftly, and smartly, divert the conversation. She wasn't stupid, he knew that. And deep down, she did too. But hearing her call herself as such sent a pang of irritation through John's chest.

He knew there was something off about that man as soon as he stepped into her life... and there was so much that needed to be told. For Elena's sake.

But he couldn't force her. She needed him now more than ever, otherwise she wouldn't have shown up in the first place, pleading for him and Pat to let her stay.

Hollick & Taylor studios sat pristine and grand in the middle of Grosvenor Road. Though Led Zeppelin had grown to the point of it being possible to uproot their lives over to London, the city of big stars and even bigger studios, the boys preferred to keep their working periods separate from whatever depravity they found themselves in whilst in the capital. H & T became a hotspot for Zeppelin's rehearsals between touring, so it made all the more sense to set up there.

Elena had never been to this studio before, and she was fascinated by the layout; the collages of music greats, and the distinct art styles plastered on almost every wall. It took her mind off of her troubles for the time being, and it gave her that ounce of comfort she needed in that moment.

Unfortunately, the pretty pictures didn't distract her from the fear of the others seeing her.

The few times Elena had been in the presence of all four of the lads, even with Jonesy and Jimmy, she felt welcomed. There were never awkward moments where she wondered if she should have really been there, or if she was infiltrating, intruding.

It was different now.

And she hated it.

John almost became a protective shield as she trailed behind him into the studio space that Jimmy had booked out, his body completely blocking anyone from being able to see her. She focused on the delicate patterning on the back of his shirt as some kind of calming exercise. Focus on the swirls, Elena. Study the swirls. Then he moved, as if unveiling her existence.

Her palms clammed up as she completely clasped her hands together, a tragic reenactment of being her own best friend. Eyes glued to the floor, her chest thumped. She was too exposed without John in front of her, and she barely heard Jonesy's surprised greeting from across the room.

No eye contact, Elena. You're not worthy of something so intimate.

So, instead, she opted for a quick glance in his direction, mustering up the friendliest smile she could. Nobody had seen her since December, and even then was cause for concern. But nobody expected her subdued entrance—the blatant avoidance of any contact. Even Jimmy took note of it.