28 - Heart and Soul - Chris POV

ابدأ من البداية

We should just go home. Today has been so much already...

"Alexa, why don't we just—"

"Chris. I'm fine." Alexa said sternly, seemingly knowing that Chris was going to try to talk her out of staying.

Chris put his hands up in front of him in surrender, "Okay. Okay. I'm sorry. I believe you. I just...it's so hard not to be worried."

"I know, I'm sorry." Alexa looked down and started nervously picking at her fingers.

He hated that she was feeling overwhelmed. He knew he had to change the subject for both of their sakes.

"So. Heart and soul, what is your gut saying right now?"

Alexa furrowed her brow and looked at Chris, "About what?"

"Boy or girl?"

There was that smile Chris was looking for. That shy, nervous, excited smile she had originally walked in with today had finally reappeared on her face.

"I honestly don't know," Alexa's hands dropped to her bump, rubbing it lightly.

"Well, you know what I've always thought."

Chris had accidentally slipped female pronouns into a lot of his talks about the baby over the last few months. He wasn't sure why, but in his heart of hearts he felt like they were having a girl.

Not like it mattered at the end of the day, he would just be happy if both the baby and Alexa were given a clean bill of health.

Chris decided to take out his phone, and started tapping away at it, "Hang on."

He knew without looking that Alexa had a confused look on her face, wondering what he was doing on his phone so intently. He opened a website and scrolled down, starting to read the text aloud, "12 wives tales for predicting gender."

Alexa looked intrigued, waiting for him to continue.

"Number one. Sweet or salty cravings."

"Don't you dare." Alexa said, pointing a stern finger at him, though she was obviously fighting back a laugh.

"Don't I dare do what?" Chris asked innocently.

"You're gonna make some sex...or cum joke..." Alexa said in a whisper; as though she expected Dr. Halsin to appear at any moment.

"Well, you're the one that likes sucking this—"

"Christopher," Alexa said with a mock shocked face as she slapped his arm.

Chris laughed but continued reading, "Sweet cravings mean girl. Salty means boy. Of course it does..."

Alexa laughed, but responded, "I don't know. I feel like I've been a mix of both. Cause you know. Ice cream. But also McDonald's fries..." Alexa stuck out her hands to either side, pretending to balance an invisible sweet to salty ratio scale.

"Okay, so you're pregnant. Check." Chris chuckled but continued on. "Next. Excessive nausea. Obviously."

Alexa nodded in agreement, hanging onto his every word now.

"That's girl."

"Okay," Alexa said with a confirming nod.

"Three. 'Moody or mellow'...no comment," Chris said giving Alexa a side glance.

Alexa laughed and rolled her eyes, smacking his arm again.

"I'll just say," Chris stressed sarcastically, "moody means girl... anywho.... number four," Chris said quickly, "carrying high versus low."