Chapter 16: Passive Agrressive

The sudden ring of the doorbell jolted me from my thoughts. It must be Zee. I swiftly covered the simmering pot on the stove, the aroma of the dish I cooked wafted through the kitchen. With a sense of anticipation, I made my way to the door, ready to welcome Zee.

As I approached the front door, anticipation fluttered in my chest like delicate butterflies. With a gentle exhale, I reached for the doorknob, and as the door creaked open, I peeked my head out. The ambient glow of soft lighting spilled into the hallway, casting a warm embrace around the entrance.

There he was, standing on the threshold of my unit, and a sweet smile effortlessly graced my lips. The flicker of joy reflected in my eyes mirrored the happiness that surged within me. The soft tendrils of my hair framed my forehead as I offered that smile, a silent invitation to step into my safe haven.

Zee greeted me with a smile, his eyes reflecting a sentiment that echoed my own. "Hey," he said, his voice carrying a blend of warmth and longing.

"Hey," I replied, unable to suppress the grin that formed on my face. The air between us held a gentle anticipation, like the calm before a perfect storm of emotions.

"Come on in," I said, gesturing with a subtle tilt of my head.

As he stepped inside, I caught a whiff of the dish still simmering on the stove. Zee's eyes sparkled with curiosity. "What's cooking?"

I chuckled, "Green Curry Chicken and Pad Thai. I thought it would be nice to enjoy a meal together."

Zee's gaze softened, "I appreciate that, NuNew. I didn't know you could cook."

Zee's appreciation painted a subtle blush on my cheeks. "Well, you're about to find out," I replied, guiding him towards the kitchen where the fragrant symphony of spices filled the air. The flickering candlelight added a touch of intimacy to the scene.

As we settled into the cozy ambiance of the kitchen, the clinking of plates and the comforting aroma of the dishes filled the room. Zee watched with genuine interest as I served the Green Curry Chicken and Pad Thai.

We found ourselves immersed in a shared meal, our conversation weaving effortlessly between laughter and genuine moments.

Zee, adorned in a navy blue button-down shirt from the iconic Italian fashion house Ermenegildo Zegna, brought a touch of vibrancy to my place that I had never witnessed with anyone else. In his presence, the world transformed into a palette of hues that I had never seen with anyone else. The shirt hugged his frame in a way that accentuated both sophistication and casual ease.

"How did your day go?" I inquired, anticipation lingering in the air, just before I savored the velvety richness of a glass of Dom Pérignon. I attempted to distract myself, realizing I had been discreetly checking him out too much.

Zee's eyes darted on my glass, then back to my eyes, ignoring my question, "You have a low alcohol tolerance, I noticed at the event last time." Zee stated matter-of-factly.

Zee's keen observation didn't escape my attention as his eyes briefly flickered to my glass one again. I chuckled, realizing my low alcohol tolerance had become apparent. "Well, I guess I'm more of a lightweight when it comes to drinks," I admitted, the velvety richness of the Dom Pérignon momentarily forgotten because of him.

Zee's lips curled into a subtle grin, and he raised an eyebrow playfully. "It's endearing, don't drink too much when you're alone... or  you can call me anytime and I can be your chaperone." he commented, his gaze holding a mixture of amusement and warmth.

Embarrassment tinted my cheeks, but Zee's reassuring demeanor put me at ease. "I guess it's a good thing I'm not aiming to become a professional drinker anytime soon. Thanks, I'll put that in mind."