Who Will Save You Now

Two days passed by without incident, everything was seemingly going smoothly. Roman even appeared somewhat less stressed than before.

Pietro spent most of his time practicing with his powers, which he was finally starting to get the hang of. When he wasn't practicing he was reading or watching the news.

It was six o'clock in the evening when the door slammed open. Pietro groaned. Roman was home.

"Any news from today?" Pietro asked sardonically.

Roman shook his head quickly. "No, I just came home to get changed I need to meet with a person from work again."

Pietro narrowed his eyes. "Is it the same girl from the bar?"

Roman paused, then answered "No."

"Alright, whatever, go have a good time with whatever you'll be doing," Pietro said nonchalantly.

Roman nodded then quickly walked to his room, slamming the door behind him.

Pietro knew something was up. There was no way that this situation was as simple as Roman had said. He left out too many details and was still acting odd. No matter how much Nadia wanted to believe Roman, Pietro wasn't sure if he did. He never had good experiences with politicians.

"He can't let me sleep, can he?" Nadia asked no one in particular.

Pietro looked up from his book to see Nadia standing in the entryway to the room, half asleep.

He shook his head. "He's woken me up several times too."

Nadia laughed. "Try living with it for six years."

Pietro was surprised, no wonder she trusted Roman so much. Six years was a long time to live with someone.

"So how did you two meet?" Pietro asked.

"Well..."

-
2010

One year. One year in college was all it took for Nadia to be broke. The job she worked just didn't support her enough to live by herself.

Although she loathed to admit it, she had to move back home with her parents; two people she really didn't want to visit.

She was on her way out of the apartment when a man called to her. "Excuse me miss, but do you know where I can find apartment number 584?"

Nadia nearly sighed out loud. That was five floors up and several hidden turns away.

"Yeah, I'm sorry the building doesn't have an elevator, I'll walk up with you," she said, gesturing for him to go ahead. It was quite sad that the owner refused to upgrade the building anyway.

The dark haired man nodded. "Thanks."

"So are you just moving in?" Nadia asked.

"Yeah, I just got hired at the government office, I needed a cheap place to stay," he explained.

The two walked in comfortable silence to the fifth floor. The owner insisted there was no such thing as an 'elevator', so going up the stairs was always an annoyance.

Nadia sadly looked at her room that she was leaving behind, regret filled her when she thought back on past days, when she thought that everything would work out fine. She clearly hadn't considered the cost of getting a good job in the poor country.

The man must have noticed her troubled gaze, because he looked at her oddly. "You alright?"

She nodded her head. "Yeah, I'm just sad that I can't stay here longer." She didn't want to stay with her parents.