Veena readily agreed. Richa tried to protest that she was well and there was no need to hurry back home but the other two, did not listen to her and dragged her to the parking, where the driver was waiting for them.

Bansi, as always sprinted to the front seat, leaving Veena and Richa to occupy the back seat. While she strapped her seat belt and looked forward, she saw a flash of a familiar vehicle. She craned her neck.

"I think I just saw Sahil Bhai's car." She chirped.

Both Veena and Richa looked up at her.
"Sahil? Here? No way, Bansi, he is not in the town." Veena replied.

"Oh, I must have misunderstood." Bansi pouted.

Bansi was exhausted when they came back. She received a whack from her mother, when she sat down to eat without washing her hands. She did not think twice before reprimanding her in front of everyone at the table.
"What kind of doctor are you going to be? Such a careless girl you are."

Bansi huffed and quickly washed her hands and gulped down whatever was there on her plate.

"How about a movie night?" Samrat offered.

"I am out. You guys enjoy. I need to study." Bansi politely refused.

"Take a break, Bansi. You will do good in your exams." Her father advised.

Bansi smiled.
"Dad, I wanted to ask you something."

Her father raised an eyebrow.

"There is this industrial visit organized by the college. All of my friends are going. I really want to go, Dad."

Her father went silent for a moment. She knew her father would not say no for something like this.
"I will check the details and let you know." He replied and Bansi squealed in happiness.

She hurried with her dinner and rushed to her room.
She pulled out her books to study and settled herself on the bed with plenty of pillows. She opened her book and pulled out the leaflet that had all the information about the industrial visit that the college organized.
It was mentioned that the first year students would get the experience of attending a few seminars where India's top doctors would come to share their expertise. The trip also promised a few competitions.
Bansi was excited to join. She just wanted her father to extend his permission.

In reality, she had some other plans.

Bansi tiptoed in the late night to find the house drowned in silence. The only people awake were Veena and Samrat, who were engrossed in watching the movie in the theatre room. She filled her bottle with cold water and rushed back to her room. Closing the door and bolting it from inside, she settled on the bed and pulled out her phone.

The new SIM was activated a few hours ago and was ready to use.

She dialed a number with her new SIM and waited patiently for the call to connect.

The call was received but no one spoke from the other side.
"Bhai, Bansi here." She whispered.

"Bansi? Where are you? What are doing out so late?" The sleep laden voice was filled with concern.

"Relax, Bhai. I am at home in my room. This is the new SIM."

"Oh." The instant relief could be heard.

"Why are you up so late? You should be sleeping. It's 2 in the night."

Bansi giggled softly.
"Right, I should have been sleeping. But I wanted to try my new SIM. And you know what, it's fun to do something that others don't know."

There was a momentary silence.
"It's not fun to break rules, Bansi. I told you earlier, don't do something that will land you in trouble."

"You are no fun, Bhai. I am already tired and wanted so much to share." She whined.

A chuckle rumbled through the phone.
"Sorry. Tell me, how was your day? Did you learn something new?"

Bansi sighed tiredly and dramatically.
"The day was really long. I had to go shopping for Veena Dii."

A soft hustle of sheets was heard followed by pouring of water.
"And?" He encouraged her to continue.

"You know what? Veena Dii is soon going to get engaged. Our families are going to meet tomorrow for the final discussions." She informed.

"Great. You are not going?" He asked.

"No, I have my exams approaching."

"What are you doing? What sound is that?" Bansi asked.

"Nothing. I just dropped a glass. The water is everywhere now." He groaned.

"Who will clean it now?" She asked.

"I will do it." He replied.

"Bhai, you don't have any maids?"

There was a silenced pause.
"It's very late, Bansi. I think you need a good night's sleep. We will connect again soon. Sleep tight, baby. Bye."

The call was disconnected, even before Bansi could reply. She somehow had a hunch that he was trying to keep things from her. She always wondered how his life would be. She wanted to know how he managed everything. Who cooked for him, who did the cleaning? What he preferred for lunch and for dinner? What he liked for his breakfast? Was he a morning person or a night owl? Did he like drinking milk before going to bed? What did he do for living? 

And... Did he have anyone in his life to look up at?

---------------------------------------

Another chapter up.

I am looking forward to at least 20 comments.
Please keep supporting.
Vote and comment
Love