・.・✫One

୨⎯ Chapter 1⎯୧
"Mother Knows Best"

୨⎯ Chapter 1⎯୧"Mother Knows Best"

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

IN THE GRAND HALL adorned with leaves and vines, I stood before my mother, Queen Taneisha, who calmly announced news that would reshape my destiny. "You are to be wed to Legolas, the son of King Thranduil," declared the queen, her eyes holding a mixture of regal command and maternal concern.

My mind raced, unable to process any thoughts. My twin, Khellan, watched us with a blend of curiosity and shock. Aine, my closest friend, stood at a respectful distance, her gaze flitting between the queen and myself. In the silence that followed, there was an ache of unspoken emotions.

This announcement hit me like a sudden storm, "you want me to do what?!" I exclaimed, my voice echoing through the hall. Confusion and rage surged through me as I grappled with the reality of an arranged marriage.

The idea of tying my fate to a man I barely knew sounded horrible. My mother rolled her eyes, "oh don't be so dramatic. You've met Legolas plenty of times, he is a fine suitor."

I made a face, looking around the room before my eyes landed back on her figure.

"Why me?" I implored, my voice softer but laced with the raw intensity of emotion. "Why must I bear this burden? There are other ways to unite our realms without sacrificing my freedom." Queen Taneisha sighed, the weight of her own responsibilities evident in her eyes. "Liarise, you are not just a faerie; you are the Princess of Faeries. Our alliances with the Elves are vital for the safety of Caralis. This marriage is a sacrifice we all must make for the greater good."

The response, did nothing to make me feel calmer. A conflict between fufilling my duties verse my desires raged within me. I cast a pleading glance at Aine, seeking solace in the eyes of my closest confidante. Aine, torn between loyalty to me and her queen, stepped forward. "Your majesty, Liairse is right. There must be another way to secure our alliance without coercing her into a marriage she does not desire."

The queen regarded Aine with a measured gaze, recognising the sincerity in her words. "Aine, my dear, you have always been a voice of reason. However, the future of Caralis is at stake, and sacrifices must be made."

"Mother, I understand the importance of our alliance, but I implore you to reconsider. There must be a way to forge unity without stifling my spirit. What of Khellan? Surely since he is the heir you can swap our fates" Khellan had looked down, not wanting any part of this.

My mother only sighed. "I'm sorry Liairse," Giving me a pointed look, my mother stood from her throne and slowly made her way towards me. "You are my daughter, the Princess of Faeries", she grasped my arms, taking my hands in hers. "We did not choose Khellan because it was not a suitable idea. There are other plans for him. You must understand." Pulling away from me, she stands before me, awaiting my answer. Finally, not at all pleased with her response I whispered, "yes mother."