vi

Kelly's kitchen, Yorkshire
25th October, 1996
01:35am

Kelly was quite shaken. Of course she knew Evan was alive since he sent the letter but she hadn't expected for him to break into her house and to come looking for her. The two sat at her kitchen table staring at each other, Kelly gaping and Evan staring right back at her.

Various questions were running through her mind. Why was he here ? Why had he come looking for her? How did he find her ? How did he look just as handsome as he did when they were teens?She pulled herself away from her thoughts when Evan cleared his throat, he looked like he wanted to say something but couldn't find the words so he settled back into the silence. They sat there for another few minutes before Kelly stood up and asked "Would you like a cup of tea?"

Evan smiled and replied "yes please, tw-."

"Two sugars and a lump of honey. I know Evan, you act as if we didn't know each other for 9 years," Kelly finished for him as she lit the stove to boil the water for their cups of tea.

"Oh, I guess you're right, Kel," he said quietly before they fell back into a deadly silence as Kelly made the tea, two sugars and a lump of honey for Evan and a peppermint tea for herself. She set them down on the table as well as a small plate of biscuits to dunk in their tea. As Kelly sat down, Evan gave her a puzzled glance. "What?" she asked.

"Do you still drink that peppermint shit Kel?"to his question Kelly nodded and Evan shook his head. "Honestly Kel I thought that was a phase was going to disappear. I guess Reg got you hooked on that stuff."

"I guess he did, I honestly don't know how you don't like this stuff it's the best," She took another sip of her tea.

"Let me try some, I haven't had it in years maybe my opinion on it will have changed," Evan said holding out his hand for the cup.

Kelly grinned "Okay, but you'll just say it's too spicy, even though that makes no sense whatsoever," as she handed him the mug.

Evan took a large gulp of the tea and then made a disgusted face, "it's too spicy," he laughed, handing the mug back to Kelly with the handle facing towards her so she couldn't burn herself.

"I told you you'd say that!" Kelly said smiling, grabbing the mug back off him. "I don't know how you think that it's the best and Reg taught me how to make it like a professional." The two laughed together as though they were young once again. It felt like they had travelled back in time and there was no war going on and no distance nor time had separated them.

But it did and they couldn't ignore that. Once the laughter had diminished, Kelly looked up at Evan and asked "Evan, why are you here? And why now?"

Evan sighed, "Kel-."

"No, I want the full story, why did you disappear for so long and why have you only just got back in contact?" She said.

"Okay let me start from the beginning."

550 words
26/02/2024

**~༛⎈༛~**