CHAPTER 5 ˚ ༘ ೀ⋆。

Start from the beginning

Grim's senses were on high alert, he stood close to Mary, in front of her and darting his electric blue eyes left to right. "Mary, stay close, I don't like the air here...we are not alone"

This was supposed to be a good day, Mary even asked Rio if she could take a leave from work and her colleague was nice enough to allow her the request. Where is her Riddle?

"Sparkling," They heard a soft, dull-tone masculine voice from above.

Looking up they saw a tall pale blonde with icy blue eyes. Fear crept like ice on Mary's spine as she recalled this man was one of those suspects she saw responsible for the death of flower fairies.

Elbert Greetia was having a hard time hiding the thrill and to be composed, this was the first time he was this close to the woman he had been tailing. "You are sparkling enough to be part of my collection"

Huh?! This man was not just a heartless killer but also not right in the head! Mary stepped back. Meanwhile Grim bared his teeth at Elbert, conjuring more blue fire on his tears and tail. "Try touching her and I will turn you into a damn coal!"

"A talking beast? Interesting." Elbert jumped from the second floor and was quickly intercepted by Grim.

Mary stepped away as her friend fought against Elbert, she observed that this man was not using any magic yet was very skilled in fighting and didn't seem having problems countering Grim's fire or attacks.

"Mary, leave now! Go find Ace and Deuce! Get help!" Grim ordered loudly, releasing a line of blue fire around Elbert to prevent him from approaching closer to the redhead.

The young woman shook her head, "I will not leave you here!"

"Dummy! You have to! Out now!" Grim yelled angrily, but his next orders were cut off as an explosion boomed from upstairs.

The explosion covered everything with thick smoke and piles of rubble everywhere, Mary was thrown outside in the street—she sported scratches and dirt; this already caused panic among the people outside. Another round of explosions happened, sending sharp projectiles towards Mary's direction.

She closed her eyes as she couldn't move quick enough to avoid it, she knew it'd be too late. But no sharp shards pierced her body, instead a greenish barrier covered her and the flower fairy she saved before was looming over her.

"Nooo!!!!! Fairy!!!" Tears sprung in Mary's eyes, seeing that a piece of glass pierced the fairy from the back and it was doing that a barrier suddenly appeared. "No! No! No!" She cried, taking the small creature in her hands and forcing herself to get up despite the shakiness of her legs.

The flower fairy spoke in a tiny voice and different language, she held onto Mary's thumb, patting it as if trying to reassure her that it was alright.

Mary went to Moors, sprinting off and tripping due to haste. She reached a lake where she knew most fairies were dwelling there. "I am sorry," Her shaky hands laid the fairy carefully on the grass while sobbing loudly. "Somebody help me, please..."

--

How long had it been? It was already dark, moonless, and starless black sky almost mirroring the void in Mary's chest. She was lying on the grass next to the motionless flower fairy since the afternoon she went there and didn't stop crying. Her eyes were puffy red, tears dried on her cheeks and she was bleak without any hope.

Some creatures and animals came to accompany her, sensing the grief and pain of losing a friend—this tiny magical life form who didn't hesitate to protect their princess. Guilt was devouring Mary within, aside from blaming herself for the fairy's death but also for leaving Grim behind.

'I am always the one being rescued, really fits the damsel image huh? I can never do anything properly or without being dependent on someone.'

A gust of wind was blown and made the trees sway, leaves gathered and hurled before Mary until it formed a feminine figure. "Princess..." The leaves-figure spoke softly.

Mary began crying again, she turned her back on the forest sprite, bringing the lifeless fairy close to her chest. "I am not your princess, please don't call me one..."

"That is not true," The leaves-figure moved closer, caressing her head. "You will always be our princess, no matter what happens" She was quiet for a second before continuing. "Also we found someone left an odd letter outside the bookshop where you work, it was left there at night, your friend at the shop must have missed it"

This got Mary's attention, and she turned around to the sprite, "A letter?" She wiped her tears.

"Yes, princess, I concluded it was of importance..." The leaves-figure drew the envelope out, it was a rose-scented cream-colored stationary and there was an elegantly written message inside asking Mary to go to a particular address that rang no familiarity.