XVIII. The Convention

Start from the beginning

"Why do you want to marry him?"

The direct question stunned her. "Because we're betrothed."

Ellise looked at her for a long while, longer than she was comfortable with, to be honest, and nodded, murmuring, "Fair enough."

Florence had a challenging ride on board the ship. She had gotten used to being around Emory and Henry, and now that they were getting further and further away, she was getting more anxious. To take her mind off her worries of what awaited her there, she played with Marion and Lucy. During supper, on the dining deck, her cousin asked about the club Emory mentioned to her once.

"Artemis?" Ellise asked.

"Are you a member?" Lucy asked with interest.

"Yes."

Her cousin smiled at Florence before asking, "Can we join?"

"No," Ellise replied, wiping her mouth. As she placed her napkin down, she added, "But I can ask for a favor."

"That would be wonderful," Florence said, a tinge of excitement bubbling inside her.

Lucy squealed, taking Florence's hand. "We're going to be members of a club, Flo. Can you imagine that? A club for women!"

Florence smiled at the duchess. "Thank you."

"It's nothing," Ellise said. "You're actually making things easier for me."

"What do you mean?"

"I have to keep an eye on you while the king is away. If you spend most of your time in Artemis, I won't have to bother following you around. I give fencing lessons in Artemis. I understand you are quite the restless kind?"

Florence smiled tightly. "Did he say that?"

"He said you need to constantly be on the move. Fencing might be good for you."

Florence grinned, her spirit lifting.

"But Artemis has rules," Ellise said. "With the recent events, it has even more rules."

"What events?"

"Some members were murdered," Ellise said. "But that's been dealt with."

"Murders?" Lucy asked, eyes wide with fear.

"Fret not. You'll be safe," Ellise said. "As long as you follow the rules."

"We can follow rules," Florence eagerly said. The club sounded more enticing now.

"I hope you can."

"We have no problem following rules."

"I heard otherwise," Simon St. Vincent said with a laugh.

She rolled her eyes. "Well, only if the rules are ridiculous."

Simon's shoulders shook. "I was also told you'll say that."

Florence sighed. "Of course, he'd tell you that, too."

***

Emory stared out the window of the parlor as the fire crackled in the fireplace, a glass of brandy in hand. Henry quietly entered and joined him in the chaise, letting out a long sigh. Then his cousin smiled. "It was a smart move."

"Which one?" he asked.

Henry tapped the back of the chaise. "Moving this here."

Emory stared at the large arched window and at the dead winter view outside. Henry looked around. "It's awfully quiet, don't you think?"