Chapter Six

Hey...

So, I've never updated a story this quick before. Man, it's hasn't even been a full day. The idea just sort of hit me with the force of a ten ton truck and I just had to get it down. Not much happens in this one, but I suppose it's more of a set-up chapter. Your minds should all change slightly regarding a certain character in this one though. And I'm hoping I didn't just ruin it...

As always I love reading all your comments, they mean the world to me. Enjoy!

...

The mad hedgehog's domain was vile. Positively vile. Dark wrinkled his nose in disgust as he slunk through the derelict building. Run down, enclosed and rotten. The place looked burnt, while also dripping with Chaos knew what. He flicked his ear in annoyance as something wet but also thick dropped against it. He rubbed at the offended appendage with a gloved hand that came back stained a grimy, bitty black. He grimaced.

He shifted his gaze past his hand and saw two glowing red spiral eyes staring at him from the darkness. Anyone else would have jumped. But Dark only found this irritating.

"Fleetway."

Even in the dim lighting, Dark could tell the hedgehog was upside down. He was hanging from the rafters like a demented bat. His arms were left to dangle, gloves stained with the same stuff that dripped from every crack in the ceiling and walls. It was mixed with something red. Dark was sure it was blood. Both fresh and dried. He often wondered where it came from. And the grin on Fleetway's muzzle quite literally split his face. His mouth was wide. Too wide. The skin around his lips was cracked, ripped and torn. It unnerved even Dark sometimes.

He wasn't the biggest fan of Fleetway. Sonic was right; they didn't ordinarily get along. Fleetway thought Dark was boring. Dark thought Fleetway was vile. His domain certainly fit. Dark hated it as much as the super form before him.

And he did hate Fleetway. With every fibre of his being. More so than Sonic.

Dark had to catch himself.

It wasn't that he hated Sonic. Not... not entirely. It wasn't exactly anger he held towards the being he resided in. It was resentment.

He hadn't always felt that.

Sometimes he wished he didn't.

Other times he wanted to strangle the hedgehog until he stopped breathing. Until his neck snapped clean in half. Until his body went limp in his hands. Until the life dulled in his bright, emerald green eyes.

Dark blinked. He had to collect himself.

"There's a little something on your ear, Dork."

Dark narrowed his half-lidded eyes into a full on glower. He felt his energy writhe around his fists. He reeled it back in. It wasn't worth it. The bastard wanted a rise out of him.

"Dark," he hissed, correcting the dirty golden hedgehog.

"Whatever, Dork."

Fleetway's voice had a certain quality to it. It sounded like Super's. But it also didn't. Super's voice was usually like Sonic's when he was excited, perhaps a little higher, but just as soft. Fleetway's had that excited edge, but it was tainted. Wrong. Echoed in ways it shouldn't, even in an open space. Dipped lower every few syllables, distorted. Sort of like what Dark's Voidspace did to sound in its dormant state, but somehow more off-putting. Dark had grown used to his Voidspace. He would never get used to Fleetway's voice.

Fleetway dropped from the ceiling. He landed on his hands, then performed an elaborate hip-hop style breakdance until he was back on his feet. Dark cringed. Sonic sometimes did something similar when he was hyper, but when Fleetway did it... it just didn't fit. Dark didn't like him imitating the move. It gave him a bitter taste way back in his throat.