𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈

Start from the beginning

"And after your mother's death and your father's absence, you were left in Lucas' care?"

"Yes. I, an 11-year-old girl, was left in the care of a 15-year-old boy. Since everyone was too worried about arresting my father, a desolate and widowed man who needed help, instead of providing us with a stable home. No one took care of us, no one protected us, no one welcomed us." She projected her voice with authority.

Lucas, head down, swallowed. Mentioning that part of his life was like a trigger.

"Are you aware that Lucas has been arrested before?" Jason inquired and Erica said yes.

"And has he ever hurt you, physically or verbally?"

"No, never!" The girl exclaimed at the whirlwind of words Jason spat in her face. "He always protected me. To the best of his ability, he always made sure that I lacked nothing and that I could grow up safe and well." She lied. Lucas looked at her petrified, feeling the weight of guilt tearing at his heart. He had failed him so much.

"One more question. Do you ultimately believe, based on the evidence discussed here today and based on the existing evidence, that Lucas and Max are bad people for committing such crimes?"

"They are reckless, and perhaps that makes them bad people, but not heartless psychopaths. I believe they are two lost, naive and rebellious teenagers who chose the wrong path. "

"In addition, I would like to say something else," Erica said, now addressing the jury in particular, "regardless of your final decision, I appeal to you to analyze their past and take into account my words spoken here. And perhaps find a way to mitigate the consequences in the lives of these young people by considering the possibility of giving them a second chance to start over and put their lives back together while still building their love story. And to see them for the people that they are."

Lucas barely knew Robin, but despite the involvement of Erica, he mentally thanked her for doing everything possible and impossible and going to the ends of the earth to defend him, just like Steve did to defend Max. He would be forever grateful for the work they did to protect her. 

He would also be eternally grateful to Erica for those words, for all the courage and determination with which she defended him.

The stubbornness was always there. Erica always knew how to defend herself very well, but seeing her dressed so well and saying those eloquent words in such an articulate way made Lucas realize that his little sister had grown up and become a woman. He couldn't stop a single tear from falling from his eye.

She left the witness area and sat at the back of the room.

Max was also in disbelief at what had just happened. But she felt that the beautiful words had not softened the hearts of the merciless jurors.

However, Lucas' lie disgusted her. He wasn't manipulating her. He couldn't pay more for something he hadn't done. That would be unfair.

Besides, Roy's death would come back to haunt her. She now had the opportunity to make things right. She was in a complete dilemma. A great debate was going on in her mind. Do I talk or not?

If she had to pay for her crimes, she would pay for them all. There would be nothing left unsaid, nothing left unresolved. Nothing to attack her, nothing to haunt her. So she could have complete peace.

"Well, if no one has any more questions to ask or anything to add, I should consider today's hearing as over-" The judge's voice echoed, but was suddenly interrupted before slamming the gavel.

"I have something to say!" Max suddenly stood up. She spoke as if she had something stuck in her throat that prevented her from breathing normally. The judge, without showing that she had been taken by surprise, motioned for her to take the stand.