Kabanata 27

Kabanata 27
Realized

Pagbukas ko pa lang sa flat screen TV na nasa loob ng kwarto kung saan ako nagpapagaling ay pagmumukha na kaagad ni Caroline ang bumungad sa akin—full of jewelry and face was screaming that she belonged in an elite society—was talking to a news caster who interviewed her about the accident that I was involved a month ago.

“Well, it’s not surprising at all that Carae was involved in an accident. She has been hard-headed since then. She won’t listen to anyone. We raised her with love and support, but I don’t know why she became the black sheep of the family!” Caroline even faked sobs! “Our voice doesn’t matter to her, so I’m pretty sure that whatever her co-pilot or her colleagues advise her, she won’t listen and just follow what she likes to do. She’s like that ever since, that is why I am surprised why she was entitled as the pilot of the year in the airline where she’s working. Obviously, she’s far from what they’ve expected her to be. We advised her already that she should be in our company, working, not in someone else’s, this shouldn’t happen to her,” mahabang litanya ni Caroline.

I gritted my teeth in disbelief. Fuck you to the bone, Caroline! Raised with love and support my ass!

“So, are you saying, Mrs. Yara, that your daughter is not capable of the title she was entitled to? Does that mean that she is far from being the best Pilot of the Year just like what QIA acknowledged her to be?” the news caster asks Caroline again to earn her a smug face.

I fucking am not her daughter!

“Definitely, she isn’t deserving of that title! If I were from the airline’s management, I would fire her.” Sabay kibit ng balikat ni Caroline na mas lalong nagpaalab ng galit ko sa kanya.

How dare her said that to me!? She doesn't even have sympathy for what happened!

‘What do you expect from that witch, Carae?’

Or maybe Caroline is right. I am not deserving of what I have had. I am not deserving of the title that I had strived to get since I indulge myself in the aviation industry. Maybe she’s right, I was just too full of myself and tried to prove to them that I can do it, even if I know I can’t.

Bago ko pa maibato ang remote na hawak ko sa TV ay minabuti ko na lang na patayin iyon—at tirisin sa isipan si Caroline!

My phone beeped for a text message. The screen flashed and shows Jardine’s name on the screen.

Hindi ko na inabala ang sarili kong tingnan ang mensaheng iyon. Wala na akong nakikitang rason para kausapin pa siya. I have so much on my plate right now and I can’t deal with it anymore if I added more. It’s been six weeks since the accident happened where I landed the plane in the ocean. Jardine’s nonstop text messages and chats still belong to unread messages.

It’s been six weeks... six weeks of suffering.

There were no casualties from my passengers and crews in that plane crash. Lahat ng pasahero ko at mga crews ay ligtas, kasama doon si Arshed. May nasugatan pero walang malala na na-damage. Pero sa akin, malaki ang naging impact sa akin ng mangyari. I was the last one who was rescued by the rescuers.

I was still inside the plane when it sank deeper and deeper, struggling to get out. I can feel my ears slowly deafening me from the deep water. Hindi ako halos makagalaw para lumangoy pataas dahil iniinda ang sakit ng likod kong natamaan ng kung ano kanina. My chest heaved as I tried to fight my anxiety from attacking me. Hindi nakakatulong ang pagsikip ng dibdib ko dahil sa panic. Naramdaman ko rin ang unti-unting pamumulikat ng kanang binti ko. I can also feel my lack of air, at alam kong ilang sandali lang ang lilipas ay tuluyan na akong lalamunin ng karagatan kasabay ang eroplanong minahal ko simula pa lang.