Chapter 4

Tina, in a hurry, pushes Newt and Sophie along Broadway towards an incredibly tall skyscraper on the corner of a bustling street- the Woolworth Building.

"come on" Tina insists, trying to drag the wizards through the bustling streets.

"Er- sorry, but I do have things to do actually" Newt mumbles, glancing at Sophie as they walk down the busy sidewalk.

"Well, you'll both have to rearrange them!" Tina huffs, continuing to guide them. "what are you two doing in New York anyway?" she asks.

"I'm here on a vacation" Sophie states, tripping over the uneven pavement. Newt catches her arm, preventing her from falling. The two make eye contact, a blush immediately forming on both of their cheeks. "* merci Newt" Sophie says with a smile. Tina clears her throat, disrupting the moment.

"I came to buy a birthday present" Newt answers her finally.

"Couldn't you have done that in London?" Tina questions the man.

"There's only one breeder of Appaloosa Puffskeins in the world and he lives in New York, so no..." Newt replies. The wizards arrive outside the Woolworth Building, Tina moves the pair toward the side door, it's guarded by a man in a cloaked uniform. She whispers to the guard "I got a section 3A" The man immediately opens the door.

"Hey by the way, we closed that guy down a year ago. We don't allow the breeding of magical creatures in New York." Tina states, puffing out her chest.

Sophie glances over at Newt. She could tell he was lying, but didn't want to call him out. For some reason, she felt comfortable around him. Looking down at their linked arms, again a small blush was formed on her cheeks. All the sudden, the whole entrance magically transforms from the Woolworth Building to the Magical Congress of the United States of America. They move up a wide staircase and enter the main lobby- a vast, impressive space with impossibly high vaulted ceilings. High up- a gigantic dial with many cogs and faces emblazoned with the legend: Magical Exposure Threat Level. The hand on the dial points to severe: unexplained activity. Behind it hangs an imposing portrait of a majestic-looking witch: Seraphina Picquery, MACUSA president. Newt, Sophie, and Tina reach an elevator. The doors open to reveal a gobbling bellboy.

"Hey goldstein" The goblin says

"Hey Red" She replies, pushing Sophie and Newt inside. "major investigation department"

"I thought you was..." Red starts

"major investigation department! I got a section 3A!" Tina huffs frustrated. Red uses a long clawed stick to reach an elevator button above his head. The elevator descends.

"* ce n'est pas bien" Sophie anxiously says, clutching Newts arm a little tighter. He gives her a small smile as the elevator reaches its destination.

*merci is french for thank you
* ce n'est pas bien is french for this is not good