Chapter 1

Walking along the sidewalk Sophie Blanchet tugs her coat closer to her body, shielding herself from the sharp wind. Picking up the pase she hurries up the stairs and into the New York City bank. She digs through her coat pocket and pulls out her euros, needing to exchange them for american dollars. A small commotion near her feet draws her attention. Looking down she spots a small niffler scurrying around, shoving anything shiny it can get its paws on into its pouch. Not wanting to draw attention she discreetly pockets her euros, pulls out her wand, and begins to casually follow the small creature through the bank. The niffler jumps between cases and into bags, snatching and pilfering. Still following the niffler, Sophie rounds a corner and sees him sitting under a bench looking fat and smug. Not yet satisfied, it's attention is caught by the shiny tag hanging around the neck of a small dog. The niffler moves slowly, cheekily, forward it's little paw outstretched to grab the tag. The dog snarls and barks. Suddenly a man in a blue coat starts forward and dives under the bench- the niffler runs, scuttling over the bank counter screens and out of the man's reach.

"excuse me sir" Sophie says, catching the attention of the strange man. He scrambles to his feet and reaches to grab his breifcase. "Is that your niffler?" she asks quietly

"yes, anything shiny and he can't resist himself" says the man, not meeting her eyes.

" *allons-y, i'll help you find him" she says, starting to walk in the direction the niffler went. He follows dutifully behind the woman, grateful for her help. Once he caught up she introduced herself.

"Sophie Blanchet, nice to meet you" she offers with a shy smile

"Newt Scamander" he states simply. He goes to say something else when all the sudden he spots the niffler sitting on a trolly, which is currently being pushed into an elevator. Before either of them could move they hear a shout.

"Hey, Mr.English guy! I think your egg is hatching."

Newt hurriedly looks between Jacob and the shutting elevator doors before making a decision: He points his wand at Jacob, and Jacob and the egg are pulled magically across the bank atrium and towards Newt and Sophie. In a split second they all disapparate. Unknown to the trio, Tina stares incredulous from behind a pillar.

*allons-y is french for let's go