Chapter 14 - A Royal Conundrum

Start from the beginning

"He insists on keeping Walter and Klaus in Prussia." Mary explained in a sad voice and Edwina's crying somehow managed to grow even louder. Kate could not help but wonder how Charlotte's and Lily's curiosity had not yet gotten the best of them and made them come down and look at what was going on. They had been eager to see their aunt and grandmother, but as their arrival grew later and later in the evening the girls had already withdrawn to their bedrooms for the night. Miles seemed to be still out with Geoffrey and from her oldest son Kate had not heard a word all day.

"Bloody hell..." Kate blurted out and quickly gave Edwina's hand a firm squeeze. "Do not worry, bon. We will come up with some plan to get your sons to London."

"There is nothing we can do, they are his sons and heirs...!" Edwina whimpered.

"There is nothing we can do." Lady Mary agreed in a serious tone.

"But there must be something...!" Kate exclaimed. "And where are you even going to stay?"

"The... The Queen, our gracious Victoria, has been kind enough to accommodate both me and mother at the palace..." Edwina sobbed and blew her nose on a pretty white lace handkerchief.

"Oh, well that is good...!" Kate replied with some hope in her voice. "Maybe she can help?"
"She cannot, unfortunately she has no leverage in Prussia..." Lady Mary muttered.

"She must have some leverage." Kate commented, looking doubtful. "She is the Queen of England after all...?"

"It does not matter, the boys do not even want to move to England...!" Edwina cried. "But Friedrich will not let them even visit me...!"

"They have grown up to be very German." Lady Mary explained, once again. "They do not know any Hindi like your children do, even their English is quite bad." She continued and had a sip of her tea. As on cue, the door slammed in the entry hall and soon Miles appeared in the doorway of the room.

"Susandhya!" He greeted his mother a bit half-heartedly, since she was the first one he saw through the door in the drawing room, but he quickly put on a courteous smile when he noticed his aunt and grandmother as well. "Oh, Mary and Edwina! How wonderful to see you after such a long time!" He smiled and walked up to meet them. They both immediately jolted up on their feet and closed poor Miles into a tight group hug, while Kate smirked when this time Miles looked exactly like Anthony when he got a bit too much affection.

"Did you have fun?" She smiled at Miles and stood up once the other women had let go of him, giving him a kiss on his cheek. "How was Geoffrey feeling?"

"He was alright, a bit blue though, so I took him to White's for a few pints." Miles replied, brushing some invisible dirt off his sleeve.

"How does he cope with his plastered leg?" Kate wondered. "Poor Mr Geoffrey Dorset broke his leg during a quite intense pall-mall game at Aubrey Hall, before the ball." She explained, turning towards Edwina and Mary.

"Good heavens...! That game is so dangerous, it is a small wonder no one has died during it yet...!" Edwina exclaimed, while both Kate and Miles rolled their eyes at her.

"The game is not that dangerous, Geoff is just not so used to the outdoors." Miles hurried to defend both the family's favourite game and his best friend. "And he is doing fine with the leg, he has his crutches and I helped him up the stairs." He added and cast a curious look at his aunt's swollen red eyes and smothered makeup, so she quickly dubbed her eyes with the same handkerchief she had used earlier. "Perhaps I should leave you ladies alone...?" Miles deduced and took a step towards the door.

"Yes, you will have plenty of time to talk with Edwina and Mary later, they are going to stay in London for a while now." Kate smiled and pinched his cheek. "Shubharathri, mera pyaar!"