[ Misguided Promises ]

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Logan, are you okay?" Mom asked, raising an eyebrow.

I nodded. "I'm fine," I lied. She didn't need to be involved with the whole situation with Apple. That would just complicate things.

Nicole then clapped her hands loudly, getting all the attention, which caused the small quarrel about who was going to catch the biggest fish to stop. She cleared her throat before she spoke, "So tomorrow? I think that it's the only weekend we're not busy."

"We'll cook some things later for the trip," Mom said.

Gwen nodded in agreement. "I think that it's a great idea," she stated.

"Any disagreement?" asked Zoey, looking pretty excited as well.

Well, I could care any less about it as long as Apple was far away from Salvatore.

"Amie, you could bring that sweet man from the wedding," Gwen suggested, "The one who works with Blake? He's such a sweetheart."

Fuck.

"No," I suddenly said, realizing that I disagreed with it aloud. I meant to say it in my head and just deal with it later on. I didn't want the bastard in a trip with us. Not that I wanted to go, but if I were to go, I wouldn't want him there. "I mean, it's should be like old times, you know?" I explained, hoping that it sounded convincing, "Just the family. Plus Gareth and Blake, of course."

"I agree with Logan," Apple said.

I was a little dumbfounded. Seeing as though they were somewhat of a thing and all, I didn't think that she would agree with me. I thought that she would have wanted the guy to tag along—not that I was going to argue with what she wanted.

"If you say so," Dad said, shrugging. "Just the family, then."

"Apple," I muttered as I went inside the kitchen, finding a certain blonde girl sitting on the kitchen island, munching on popcorn. Everyone made themselves comfortable in the living room as they watched Knight and Day. It wasn't as bad as other chick flicks out there; at least this one was a tad funny with a dash of action.

But it was too typical and overrated. I mean, come on. I knew that they were trying to make it seem ironic and all as they tried to "copy" all the typical things that would happen in other Tom Cruise movies, Mission Impossible came to mind, but still. It was a chick flick.

A guy could only take so much.

"Logan!" she greeted, smiling, tapping the space beside her. "Hi! Sit! Sit!"

I nodded, taking a seat beside her. She offered me some popcorn and I refused—they weren't that great tasting anyway. Popcorn wasn't my favourite junk food. She brought up the fact that we were going back to the villa and how much fun it would have been. It made me more comfortable since Salvatore wasn't going.

"How are you and Salvatore doing?" I asked, bringing the guy up.

She shrugged. "He's nice," she replied, popping a popcorn in her mouth, "You should really go easy on the poor guy—even Dad's better than you when it came to the interrogations."

I scoffed. I wasn't that bad. I mean, it wasn't as if I tried to murder the guy. I was just trying to prevent anything from happening between the girl I was in love with and some tool. "Apple," I muttered, "You should know by now that things don't work that way."

She giggled, shaking her head. "I realized that," she replied, resting her head on my shoulder, which caused my arm to find their way around her. Christ, if only she knew how much I loved these small gestures.