Chapter 43: Aftermath

Start from the beginning

Hanji brought a hand up to their lips and nodded slowly in agreement, rolling the idea around in their mind before releasing a deep sigh. It was as though they had held it in for a long time. "What am I going to do after that?"

So they're feeling the weight their responsibilities already.

It was a rhetorical question, but I felt the need to answer it anyway. "Well, it depends on what you want to do after we enter that basement. Of course Armin needs to wake up first, we need to make sure he is okay, then we'll need to catch him up, and get moving."

Hanji chuckled dryly and then looked at Armin, watching his chest rise and fall. "You're right. What do you think we'll find down there?"

Answers. I thought immediately before dismissing the sassy mental responses.

This took me back to the early days of my recruitment, where Hanji would ask me theorizing questions all the time. I hardly answered those questions because Hanji would ask so many at a time, and I didn't feel interested in half of them.

"I don't know. Hopefully, an explanation, or answers to our world. It would be a shame to find nothing after all this, huh?" I asked gently, sneaking a peek past Hanji to the boy laying next to Sasha on one of the sage green blankets we recovered.

He was out cold, but he was breathing steadily and that came as a huge relief to everyone around.

Hanji waved their hand around in the air as if to dismiss the notion. "I'm sure we'll find plenty down there. There is more I want to discuss."

"Well, don't leave me in suspense." I joked, setting the clipboard aside so that all my attention could be on my friend. They didn't speak for a few minutes, so I assumed they were thinking about what to say next and kept my mouth shut.

"We need to make a decision on what to do with Eren and Mikasa. They can't get away with their actions just because of the heat of the moment." Hanji pointed out with a frustrated huff.

I laughed bitterly and pulled my knees up to my chest wincing as my gut wound twinged. "Well, briefly I thought about something extreme like subjecting them to Levi's intense training regime. Instead, I think they should be jailed for a week or two for their insubordination." I suggested the consequence and Hanji seemed to relax a bit.

Yeah, if I have fears about surviving Levi when we get back, then the kids wouldn't stand a chance.

"I thought for sure you were going to rip Mikasa apart when you saw her pinning Levi to the roof." Hanji chuckled playfully, then they patted my shoulder to show that they were trying to lighten the mood.

They failed. Spectacularly.

At the mention of the incident I felt anger and fear bubble upwards again. "She took advantage of his exhaustion and attacked him. Smart move if he were the enemy, but he isn't. He's an ally, and she... could've hurt him."

Hanji sucked in a breath and then let it out as quickly as they pulled it in. "That's true, but at least he's not dead. He's here... with us, and he's the strongest soldier we have. I wouldn't worry about it."

I looked at Hanji like they grew two heads, but I said nothing. There was no point in getting worked up about something that was said to soothe my mind. Especially if they were right.

We'd lost more than enough, and it wasn't right to argue against such a painful hole in our hearts.

"Look, if there is anything you need, let me know. We'll be taking a few weeks off with the exception of meetings, or anything official. No heavy work." Hanji added.