Chapter 43: Aftermath

The warm winds billowed gently around my body as my hands furiously scribbled down a series of scratchy frantic numbers. The damages we had sustained were almost insurmountable. We were cut down to only two full carts of supplies which included sage green blankets, bandages, medicine, rations, spare clothing, extra Thunder Spears, some netting, smoke signals, and a few more things that would also contribute to our almost insignificant success.

What we had would ease the collateral by an unnoticeable number; the damage was already done. Not to mention that we only had fourteen horses to return with. Each one that died was worth more than some medical equipment that we had.

With an angry huff, I started adding everything up until I got the startling and depressing total. We would be rebuilding our numbers for at least four years. This was a critical strike to our regiment, one that we needed to work on as soon as possible.

A presence beside me put a stop to my worrying, and frantic writing. "How bad is it?"

Hanji's solemn tone chilled my blood as they crouched down next to me. I had purposely distanced myself from the group, and yet, this was an important matter for our new commander. Hanji needed to be aware of all financial and physical problems with the Scouts. Any changes too.

I leased a groan and looked at my three-eyed friend as Levi jokingly put it over an hour ago. They stayed silent, staring at me for an answer.

I huffed and set the quill aside. "We lost enough money to build four houses, or one rich man's plantation. We're not going to receive the best welcome back if I have learned anything about our prior experiences."

Hanji let out a hefty sigh and plopped down next to me, looking at the clipboard in my lap. "We need to plan for the future, and you are the only one I could think of, besides Levi, that could help. First things first, you're our only doctor now which means you are officially the only one with extensive knowledge in the field. Any ideas or suggestions for me?"

Mulling over the multiple thoughts I had was tough enough with the emotions that I felt, but to think about what was most important moving forward... Well... that was even harder. After a while, there were a couple important ones that I could think of. "It should be mandatory to teach every Scout how to tend to wounds and take a pulse. That way, everyone will be capable of saving someone."

Hanji shifted at my words and nodded in understanding, but then stopped, brows pulling together in thought as they looked up at me. "You can't be planning to teach new recruits all by yourself! That's way too much work, even for you!"

It was insulting in a way, my friend telling me that it was impossible. I wanted to prove Hanji wrong more than anything, but they were right. I couldn't teach several people at a time to stitch a wound, I'd have to do it in divided groups.

At that point, it would fall to the number of patients, time in the day, and the amount of materials I would use.

It was best to learn on the spot rather than with just materials. Patients were the best way to learn, they would talk to you and direct you to a certain degree. Far more than a practice pad would, and besides, those were expensive.

Suddenly, I remembered the doctor who treated me when I was concussed and nodded in approval.

He would work excellently.

"Yes, I can't do it alone. That's why I have a suggestion. We need someone that can be there to train new recruits when I am unavailable. We can sort out timing later, but I know a man who is perfect for the position." I tapped the board in my lap and then eyed Hanji for a response.

They were silent for a moment, looking skeptical about my decision, but eager to understand. "Who is this man you speak of?"

I took a moment to think over my words, "His name is William Graham. He is a doctor in the Trost District. He is very capable and wise, perfect for helping me train new recruits."