𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏

Start from the beginning

"What's going on?" Elena asked Rin, who was still looking at Tom.

"Nothing," his eyes lingered a bit more before turning to Elena. A look of surprise washed over his face, "You look beautiful."

Elena smiled, "Thank you. What were you talking about?"

"Oh.. I just asked him where to find the common room, I was going to come get you."

Elena nodded. When they got out of the dungeons Elena could finally look at Rin. His dark hair fell messily around his face, covering his navy mask. His suit complemented his black hair perfectly. They entered the Great Hall together, the music was already playing and there were a few people on the dance floor. Elena looked around the room for the others, unintentionally locking eyes with Charlus, who was with a girl from Gryffindor. He looked away bitterly.

"Shall we?" Rin asked, holding out his hand. Elena took it, slowly moving towards the middle of the hall.

"I read the story," Elena looked down at her necklace, "It's too morbid for a children's tale."

"That can be because it's real," Rin said, prompting Elena to laugh. "You might not believe it, but it is. The Hallows exist."

"It's not that I don't believe it," Elena said, "It's just highly unlikely."

"Everything around us is highly unlikely."

They continued dancing through the night until Rin wanted to get something to drink. Elena was also starting to get hungry. Near the tables Rin got caught up in conversation with a few of his friends and Elena stood, looking around the hall by herself. She could see in the distance Nott and Orion dancing, she looked happy. On the other side of the room was a very bored Abraxas who was sat listening to Lucy talk. He mouthed 'Help me' upon seeing Elena. She quickly made her way across the hall to him, only to be stopped by a cold hand placed on her bare shoulder. Shivers went down her spine as she turned to face Tom Riddle, maskless.

"Did you not get my note?"

"What note?" Elena took a step away from him, "You were supposed to wear a mask, you know that right?"

"Does it matter?" he leaned over her shoulder, whispering in her ear, "Yours looks exquisite, only rivalled by the mask of innocence you wear every day."

"You didn't have to go to this much trouble just to get me to dance with you," Elena said, disregarding his last words. She held out her hand, Tom raised an eyebrow and took it. "This is not the last dance, I want to save it for someone special."

"Oh, so you did get my note," Tom said, moving with the music and leading Elena through the waltz. "You're putting your trust in the wrong person. He is not who he says he is."

"Says you," Elena scoffed. "I think he is perfectly fine. I enjoy being with him."

"The guy's mind is guarded like a prison. He is hiding something."

"It might be your own incompetency of legilimency. I have read his mind on more than one occasion." Why was Tom so interested in Rin all of a sudden?

"I must admit your power over the mind is remarkable," Tom talked more quietly, "but even you can be deceived."

"Why do you care?"

Upon Tom's silence Elena turned her focus to the hall. Everyone looking at them, including Rin who seemed weirdly angry. In the corner Orion was staring with eyes wide opened, questioning her actions. Elena rolled her eyes as an answer and Orion nodded in understanding. A very red Anna was watching them too, squeezing the glass she was holding.