Chapter 8

"Ray, your phone is vibrating," mama calls out from her place at the kitchen counter where she's helping Robert prepare a light lunch for everyone today.

I'm inside the house today with a virus of some kind and a low-grade temp, so I've been sleeping on the couch most of the morning. I left my phone on the counter in the kitchen when I stumbled from the bedroom with my favorite multi-colored blanket that looks like the cosmos wrapped around my shoulders where mama was with Kyle. Mama banished me to the couch in the living room, so she can keep an eye on me while helping Robert, and do some work on her laptop at the table.

Heaving myself off the couch with the blanket still wrapped around me, I stumble into the kitchen to grab my phone off the counter just as it stops ringing. Jax is the one who was calling me, so I instantly tap on his name to call him back.

Placing the phone up to my ear as it starts ringing, and I wait not so patiently for him to answer, which he does on the second ring; "Hey Raven. How are you?"

Softly smiling upon hearing his deep voice, sniffling while I answer softly; "Hi Jax. I'm sick, but how are you, Maria, and your kids?"

"What are you sick with? Should Maria and I bring you and everyone else some homemade chicken noodle soup, crackers, Gatorade, and pain reliever?" he instantly asks, worry clear in his voice, and I can't but smile softly at this. "We'll be leaving in ten for the store to get everything, and then we're heading your way."

"Jax, I'm the only one who is sick here," I reply, trying to soothe his worries. "I have some kind of virus and a low-grade fever. I don't want you or Maria to get sick from me, but I really appreciate the offer. I miss you, though, and Maria and your kids, too."

"We're gonna come with the stuff Jax mentioned, so we'll see you in a few hours!" Maria loudly says, and I can't help the soft laugh at her insistence, so I know it's just best to accept.

"Sounds good, see you both when you get here, and thank you," I reply with a soft smile, and we say our goodbyes before ending the call.

"Jax and Maria bringing you stuff for your ickiness?" mama curiously questions with a fond smile, and I nod fondly.

"I'm gonna nap before they get here," I tell mama, and head back to the couch as mama agrees that I should.

Snuggling back down onto the couch with my head resting on my pillow, I'm asleep within seconds. Hours later, mama is waking me because Jax and Maria have arrived. Carefully sitting up while rubbing the sleep from my eyes, and keeping the blanket secured around me with my right fist. Focusing on Jax and Maria, both sitting on the coffee table in front of me, I give them a bright smile that they return.

"I'm glad you guys are here!" I softly cheer, leaping forward to tightly hug Jax, and he returns my tight hug with one of his own.

Tucking my face into the warm skin of Jax's neck on the right side once we're standing, I can't help but breathe in his familiar and safe scent. Jax kisses the side of my head softly, and that's when the dame of tears breaks. We hug for several minutes before Maria hugs me from behind, and I cry even harder when she does. I knew I missed them, but I guess I didn't realize how much I missed them, and the familiarity they give me.

"Hush, sweet boy, you're gonna be fine," Jax murmurs into my head while rubbing my back with his large, right palm.

I'm not sure which he is referring to me be fine about - my sickness or missing him and his family. Perhaps he's speaking on both, but whatever it is, I'm just happy I have him for right now, Maria, too. When I've finally calmed down some, we move away from each other, and I quickly wipe away the tears with the blanket, and give them a shaky smile.

"I'm happy to see you both," I softly say. "Thanks for bringing me stuff, and being here, ya know?"

They chuckle while nodding in understanding as Maria pulls me down to sit on the middle couch cushion, and her and Jax sit on either side of me. Snuggling myself into Jax's left side with my blanket pulled tightly around me, my head against his shoulder, and he wraps his arm around me.

"Robin has what we brought for you, and we met Robert while they were in the kitchen together," Maria informs me with a soft smile, and I nod in reply.

"How has everyone been treating you and your mama since your arrival?" Jax murmurs, and I look between him and his wife to see them both looking worriedly at me.

"All of them have been great toward us, well, um, except Axel," I honestly admit softly. "He doesn't like me, but he was stupid enough to admit this in front of others, and mama and Kyle heard him, too, so we aren't allowed to be alone together."

They frown at me, and worry is laced in their facial features, but I see anger snapping in Jax's eyes.

"Want me to look into his background, and find some reason to come here to arrest him?" Jax whispers consolingly, causing me to loudly giggle.

"No, that's okay, but thanks," I answer, still giggling loudly until the front door opens, and we can hear voices of whoever has entered the house.

Kyle, Kyler, and Jace have entered the house, and walk into the living room, and mama is with them. They stop when they see the three of us sitting together on the couch. I swear there is jealousy in Jace's facial expression at my close proximity to Jax, but why would he be jealous of Jax?